SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Camshaft Position Sensor on a 96 SC2... (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90148)

DJboozeAlot 12-05-2006 12:34 AM

Camshaft Position Sensor on a 96 SC2...

i have a 96 SC2 that runs rough at times and stutters/hesitates at all speeds and rpms. the check engine light is either on or blinking, took it to Autozone and they pulled the codes, the only one was for the camshaft position sensor. i have a chiltons manual (useless about 50% of the time anyways) and it's not even in there, only crankshaft position sensor is in the manual.

anyone know where this sensor is located, with any pictures if possible?

westwind999 12-05-2006 12:47 AM

Re: Camshaft Position Sensor on a 96 SC2...

If someone didn't beat me to it, it's a problem with your coil pack, probably corrosion. Do a search and you'll find lots of reading. It has no cam sensor.

captsam 12-05-2006 12:58 AM

If it's the crank position sensor you can buy those at the local parts shop for about $12. I think I bought one at Kragen for about that much. It's a bit of a pain to find. If you're directly underneath the car, it'll be just above the starter. You have to take off the plastic cover that snaps over the starter to see it. It's a real pain. I believe there are pictures on the internet of the CPS. Try googling it. I remember someone had posted a fix for it, but it's still a pain to get to. It's fastened by one tiny screw, and it's at a bad angle to get at. Try doing the search with Crank Position Sensor instead of Camshaft.

Good luck.

Sam

[QUOTE=DJboozeAlot;954573]i have a 96 SC2 that runs rough at times and stutters/hesitates at all speeds and rpms. the check engine light is either on or blinking, took it to Autozone and they pulled the codes, the only one was for the camshaft position sensor. i have a chiltons manual (useless about 50% of the time anyways) and it's not even in there, only crankshaft position sensor is in the manual.

anyone know where this sensor is located, with any pictures if possible?[/QUOTE]

Uzzy 12-05-2006 01:12 AM

[QUOTE=captsam;954587]If it's the crank position sensor you can buy those at the local parts shop for about $12. I think I bought one at Kragen for about that much. It's a bit of a pain to find. If you're directly underneath the car, it'll be just above the starter. You have to take off the plastic cover that snaps over the starter to see it. It's a real pain. I believe there are pictures on the internet of the CPS. Try googling it. I remember someone had posted a fix for it, but it's still a pain to get to. It's fastened by one tiny screw, and it's at a bad angle to get at. Try doing the search with Crank Position Sensor instead of Camshaft.

Good luck.

Sam[/QUOTE]
The crank position sensor doesn't set a code, and a Saturn doesn't have a Camshaft position sensor. :no:

Westwind is right. Check the ignition system, and clean or replace any components, from the DIS module, to the plugs and everything inbetween. :yes:

captsam 12-05-2006 01:17 AM

Try this link for the crankshaft position sensor:

[url]http://www.aa1car.com/library/saturn04.htm[/url]

Try this one from the SaturnFans Forum:

[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69687[/url]

The coils are easier to change, just a couple of screws, and four ignition wires... so you should probably change those first before trying to CPS. The CPS is a real pain. Does your problem only occur when the car is warm or when the car is cold and warm? If it only occurs when the car is warm/hot, it's more likely the CPS. If not, probably ignition problem.

wolfman 12-05-2006 01:23 AM

As others have posted, the "S" series does not have a "Camshaft Position Sensor" so far as it being someting you can replace. That code in an "S" series is usually generated by a fault in the ignition system:

Spark plugs, spark plug wires, corroded coilpack towers or coilpack to block attaching bolts.

While your "S" series DOES have a Crankshaft Position Sensor, it will NOT set a code on a car that actually still runs. The ONLY code that can be set by a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor is basically a "No signal" code...which would mean that the car would not actually run....as in AT ALL.

DJboozeAlot 12-05-2006 10:35 AM

thanks guys, will check igintion system today.

and Wolfman, i havent been on the board in a while, last i heard you "retired" at an even 10,000 posts... what made you decide to come out of retirement?? glad to see you back though

Luke 12-05-2006 12:58 PM

[quote][color=blue][b]> DJ <[/b][/color]
[color=purple][size=1][b][indent]last i heard you "retired" at an even 10,000 posts. [/b][/color][/size][/indent][/quote] Noooooooo way. We've just allowed him to sit back for awhile, check in periodically, and then submit something, when he realizes we don't know what we're talking about; Remember, he needs OUR permission to fully retire.......:D

Uzzy 12-05-2006 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=DJboozeAlot;954762]and Wolfman, i havent been on the board in a while, last i heard you "retired" at an even 10,000 posts... what made you decide to come out of retirement?? glad to see you back though[/QUOTE]

He joined the ranks of Michael Jordan, Jay-Z, Barbera Streisand, and so on.... (doesn't Eminem have a new album comming out too)? :p He's a Saturnfans megastar. :cool:

He keeps trying to get out, but he keeps getting pulled back in.;)

DJboozeAlot 12-05-2006 04:37 PM

lol, yeah i bet people were posting some really odd problems and wierd questions, to lure him out of retirement...

anyways, i checked the plugs and wires today, and all the plugs looked pretty bad. very white/grey around the tips and very black towards the top of the threads. also, one of the plug wires was very rusty/corroded inside where it connects to the plug (not the coil).

so i replaced all plugs and wires, went for a drive, and drove it pretty hard. it seemed to run pretty well, but when i got home i checked all the plugs again and you can see what they look like in the picture below:

[IMG]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6643/sparkplug1ev9.jpg[/IMG]

i only drove it about 5 miles, and thats how they look. the check engine light is also still coming on. any ideas??

Mike1969 12-05-2006 05:11 PM

Had a similar problem recently and a new camshaft cover gasket was needed as oil was seeping into the sparkplug holes.

DJboozeAlot 12-05-2006 05:20 PM

there is a lot of oil caked up underneath the hood, but i cannot tell where its coming from. i just used some engine brite cleaner to clean up under the hood, maybe that will help locate a leak.

but to have the plug tips white like they are, thats something other than oil... anyone know what could cause my plugs to look like they do?

DJboozeAlot 12-06-2006 09:10 AM

bump...

eljefino 12-06-2006 01:26 PM

If your old plugs weren't real crusty critters I wouldn't worry about the new ones.

DJboozeAlot 12-06-2006 05:22 PM

the old ones looked pretty bad, and you could tell the old ones werent too old either by looking at the rest of the plug. i just bought the car so i dont know when they were changed last.

the new ones shouldnt look like they do after 5 miles of driving. i just want to know whats causing them to look they way they do... it's probably related to my check engine light being on and i want that to go off!

westwind999 12-06-2006 08:38 PM

Your plugs don't look unusual to me but it's hard to tell from a picture. I fthe code is still coming up you probably need to take the coil off and clean all the connections up as well as the mounting surface to the block. It probably isn't grounding very well if there's some corrosion. I've also heard that the routing of the wires can thow the code too but I'm not sure what routing would cause this.

Do a search for Cam Angle Sensor or the code number and you'll find tons of info.