SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Horn not working hlp plz! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111093)

Salsa88 12-27-2007 04:24 PM

Horn not working hlp plz!

So I took my car to get inspected and it failed because my horn want work. I thought it was just a blown fuse so when i got home i checked and the fuse was just fine. i tested a new fuse and still nothing with the horn. What could it be? i heard it could be the relay but i have no idea how or where to check the relay.

asdf 12-27-2007 04:35 PM

Re: Horn not working hlp plz!

This is for your '99? Just unplug the horn, and test for voltage when someone pushes the button.

If there is voltage, you get a new 96+ horn from the junkyard.

The horn in my '96 didn't work when I got it. Drove me nuts. Some of the pins were corroded from the plug, but once I fixed that still didn't work, the horn was bad.

And yeah, if there is no voltage, and you don't hear a click from the relay when you press the button, its probably either the relay or switch.

bobfather99 12-27-2007 04:37 PM

Could be the relay, or something as simple as a loose connection or ground.
I had a Ford Truck that had a loose mounting point; horn didnt work until I cleaned up the bolt and tightened it down.

asdf 12-27-2007 04:46 PM

and actually, what you can try first is just switching the horn relay under the hood with the A/C relay, or whatever you know works.

and then just leave the known good relay there for until you find the other problem, in case 2 things are bad.

...or you can just put the horn relay in the A/C and see if the A/C still works :dizzy:

Salsa88 12-27-2007 06:08 PM

where are the relays?

asdf 12-27-2007 06:10 PM

Those plastic cubes. Just look under the cover of the underhood fuse panel, the map will tell you what's what.

Salsa88 12-27-2007 06:21 PM

Thanks i thought so I just didnt want to start pulling things without 100% nowing what i was pulling on

Salsa88 12-27-2007 06:56 PM

I checked and switched the relays and still nothing. Any ideas?

yazhere 12-27-2007 06:59 PM

Idea courtesy of Richpin06:

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LFpN4oZo_Tg[/url]

madpogue 12-27-2007 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Salsa88;1175893]I checked and switched the relays and still nothing. Any ideas?[/QUOTE] That's because there isn't one. The relay is built into the horn.

Unplug the horn. Put a voltmeter between the orange terminal and the "outside" black terminal on the connector. There should be battery voltage at all times. Then put the meter between the orange terminal and the "middle" black terminal. There should be voltage only when someone presses a horn button on the steering wheel.

If the first test fails, something is wrong with the wiring. Check for voltage at the fuse, in this case. If the first test passes and the second test fails, it's either the wiring to the wheel buttons, or the buttons themselves, or the wheel not grounding. If both tests pass, it's gotta be the horn itself. That's the most common one. They tend to just up and fail with the slightest prompting. Mine worked fine up until a deer hit the car. Didn't physically damage the horn. Chafed the wires, and somehow that fried the horn (rather than blowing the fuse). If you're lucky, like me, you'll find a working one at a salvage yard. Otherwise, finding a horn with a built-in relay aftermarket isn't easy. DO NOT just commission a regular two-wire horn; the effect will be that the wire going to the wheel buttons will carry the horn's FULL current, and that would be a Bad Thing.

Salsa88 12-27-2007 08:19 PM

I got it to work!
the connector was disconnected from the horn. I had a mechanic do a front end repair and figure he just never plugged it back in. :hmpf::hmpf::hmpf:

asdf 12-28-2007 12:33 AM

Oh yeah duh what was I thinking. Thats why the horn was bad on my '96. My '95 has a horn relay though. ;)

Yeah, there is a relay socket labelled horn but there are no pins in it. Whoops, sorry for the confusion lol.

madpogue 12-28-2007 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=bmxgoof;1175996]Yeah, there is a relay socket labelled horn but there are no pins in it. Whoops, sorry for the confusion lol.[/QUOTE] That vestigial socket makes a great place to store a spare relay.