SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions & Greetings (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thought I'd Introduce Myself (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188667)

icanbeaghost 02-07-2013 12:29 PM

Thought I'd Introduce Myself

Hey y'all, I'm Keely. I'm 26 and hail from a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. I'm so glad to know that there are people out there who love Saturns as much as I do! :) Anyway, I have a 1996 SL2, 5 speed, that I purchased in 2010 with like, 140k. I drove it for a year and then the water pump went out suddenly and it overheated and I was devastated. But lo and behold, after another year and a whole lot of drama and heartache, I got my baby back with a new motor imported all the way from Montana and am once again back in the saddle! I adore my car and whenever she decides to leave me for good, (which won't be for a long, long time if I have any say about it), I'm definitely going to be in the market for another model.

Peace, love and Saturn!

newSC2driver 02-08-2013 07:06 AM

Re: Thought I'd Introduce Myself

[QUOTE=icanbeaghost;1950683]Hey y'all, I'm Keely. I'm 26 and hail from a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. I'm so glad to know that there are people out there who love Saturns as much as I do! :) Anyway, I have a 1996 SL2, 5 speed, that I purchased in 2010 with like, 140k. I drove it for a year and then the water pump went out suddenly and it overheated and I was devastated. But lo and behold, after another year and a whole lot of drama and heartache, I got my baby back with a new motor imported all the way from Montana and am once again back in the saddle! I adore my car and whenever she decides to leave me for good, (which won't be for a long, long time if I have any say about it), I'm definitely going to be in the market for another model.

Peace, love and Saturn![/QUOTE]

Hi,
I'm fairly new to the forum also and welcome you!
I'm curious about your water pump failure....did you get any warning signs like a loss of coolant or visible leaks? Any other warning signs like a high temperature gauge reading?

icanbeaghost 02-08-2013 10:56 AM

Oh yeah, it wasn't quite as sudden as I made it out to be, lol. To make a long story short, I happened to be on my last day of vacation in Florida when the light came on and I noticed it was leaking coolant. Then over the next few days the leak gradually got worse and worse and the temperature gauge was creeping higher and higher, even though I tried not to drive it much, and if I had to, I was careful to always make periodic stops and add water. Well, wouldn't you know it, I was on the way to my boyfriend's house so he could replace the pump when it overheated and blew the head gasket. Anyway, yeah, not fun! I definitely learned my lesson on that one...

newSC2driver 02-08-2013 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=icanbeaghost;1950962]Oh yeah, it wasn't quite as sudden as I made it out to be, lol. To make a long story short, I happened to be on my last day of vacation in Florida when the light came on and I noticed it was leaking coolant. Then over the next few days the leak gradually got worse and worse and the temperature gauge was creeping higher and higher, even though I tried not to drive it much, and if I had to, I was careful to always make periodic stops and add water. Well, wouldn't you know it, I was on the way to my boyfriend's house so he could replace the pump when it overheated and blew the head gasket. Anyway, yeah, not fun! I definitely learned my lesson on that one...[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for the extra info in regards to the water pump failure! I bought a used SC2 a week ago and have no idea if the original pump is in it or if the previous owner replaced it. It's good to get extra confirmation from you, that there is a window of opportunity to replace the pump once you notice a leak/loss of coolant! :)

icanbeaghost 02-08-2013 08:41 PM

I'm glad my crappy experience can offer some insight to others, lol. Word of advice? Go ahead and replace it! That's a great preventative measure after purchasing a used car. Cause unless the previous owner handed you a thick stack of service records, you just never know! ;)