PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake button popped off ... help!

davenavarro
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Hello out there ...

After a particularly sweltering day I came back to my 1999 SL1 to find that the parking brake button was missing from the handle. It and the spring were on the dash.

It looks like two little clips on the edge of the button are ripped, but if I try I can put the spring and button in and use the brake again ... until the car gets hot. Then, *poof*, it flies out again.

Any tips on how to repair this without going to the dealer?

Thanks,

Dave

Low Saturn
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Hello out there ...

After a particularly sweltering day I came back to my 1999 SL1 to find that the parking brake button was missing from the handle. It and the spring were on the dash.

It looks like two little clips on the edge of the button are ripped, but if I try I can put the spring and button in and use the brake again ... until the car gets hot. Then, *poof*, it flies out again.

Any tips on how to repair this without going to the dealer?

Thanks,

Dave

Get one at the junkyard. The one on my uncles step-granddaughter had this happen to her 1997 SL2. I went to the junkyard with a small screwdriver and popped one off.

All it cost me was the $2 admission fee to the junkyard.

BarnOwl
05-14-2007, 01:58 PM
It's not a particularly expensive part even from a dealer and it takes literally 5 minutes to put on. There's a screw that holds the plastic brake handle cover on take that out, pull the cover off, and it's obvious how to replace the button. The part is called a parking brake button assembly.

CrewCab
05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
The part is called a parking brake button assembly.

Part # 21013455 $35 at dealer

WingsOfSaturn
05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
$22+ at saturnparts. Take a trip to the yard.

Locutus
08-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Try here, if he still carries them:
Flat tip:
milehighoutlet(dot)ecrater(dot)com/p/4888440/saturn-parking-brake-handle-button-and

Round tip:
milehighoutlet(dot)ecrater(dot)/p/4888336/saturn-parking-brake-handle-button-and

Also carries the dome lights in gray and beige!!

budwiser
08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
There is a RICHPIN video on youtube for that. Go to a junk yard for the part.

alordofchaos
08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
This thread is 3+ years old, and the OP never posted again... so I highly doubt the OP will see this message, or even cares any more :)

billcat
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM
This thread is 3+ years old, and the OP never posted again... so I highly doubt the OP will see this message, or even cares any more :)

True, the original poster probably isn't being helped, but this certainly helped me, especially the suggestion that richpin has a video showing how easy it is to remove the parking brake handle. I'm sure in future it'll help others too :)

alordofchaos
08-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Fair enough :D Welcome to saturnfans - you may want to take a read of the sticky threads in the General forum; a lot of good general info there.

billcat
08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, alordofchaos :)

I've actually lurked here off and on for a few years now and got some great help replacing the electric window motors on my '99 SW2 some time ago. Richpin06's youtube vids were a big help along with some awesome posts by forum members here.

For the parking brake button I went with a paper clip fix that was briefly mentioned in another thread. It works a treat, and is actually better than new because now there's no plastic tabs to worry about breaking. A 1/16" hole is drilled through both the button and the white arm, then held together with a metal paperclip inserted through the holes. Of course you want your spring in place before permanently joining the button and arm. I used a larger sized paperclip, slipped it through the holes, cut off the excess, bent and then crimped the ends so it can't come loose. After installing and sliding the cover on you can't tell it isn't oem :D

It took longer to gather the tools than it did to do the job lol

Again, thanks for the welcome, and to all who post some really great help here.