PDA

View Full Version : rocker panel cracks/REAR DIFF OIL LEAKS

cathy
03-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Mt sky has been in 3 times for rear diff oil leaks. On and off the lift about 15 times. In total the dealer had my car for about 2 weeks. After first leak the dealer told me ther was a crack in left rocker panel ...i was shocked...why? They told me it was probably the company that put on my new tires and rims....these guys put on rims and rubber for high performance cars all the time...porsches, ferraris, lamborghinis,etc. I brought my car in for the 3rd time just a few days ago for same leak again....service manager pointed out the one crack he was talking about. I bring my car home 3 days later ...and once again 2 new cracks....called him immediately and he said "Oh they must have been there" I could 't believe it. I circled the underside of my car with him and seen only 1 crack......i must be seein things.....he actually said to me "are you really sure they are cracks" I was soooo angry. I had a body expert come to the house to see the car and even he said there was no way that changing tires could do this...he believes it is the vertical lift and probably the amount of times that it has been lifted.
IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM...LET ME KNOW. I HAVE CONTACTED SATURN CANADA.

e-sarge
03-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Cathy:

First, some sympathy: :cry: :cry:

Second, it seems odd that it takes 3 visits to fix what seems to me is a known problem (differential seal -- there's a repair bulletin from GM documenting this problem and how to fix it). See Differential Oil Leak ( Huge puddle ) (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93734)

Third, it seems odd that the damage happens only on the left side and not the right as well (I believe you, but something strikes me as odd). Usually these vertical lifts have the same capabilities on both sides of the car. I would think that the problem would be caused by not raising the lift pad to the proper height before lifting the vehicle, but then why only on the right side? If the technician was not using the lift properly, wouldn't they make the same mistake on both sides? :dizzy: Perhaps other forum members could describe whether there is something special about the left side of the vehicle or hoist that would make it more likely to damage only the left rocker panel?

Care to mention what area of the country you're in so that other Sky owners taking their cars in for service can watch for similar symptoms?

vtecnitian
03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
you have to watch out some saturn dealerships dont know how to jack up the car so they are caving in alot of rocker panels.some people had this issue is skyroadster forums

rail Jockey
03-23-2007, 06:35 PM
From what I have read on other forums the differently leak has been a real problem for a number of sky owners. I also agree that the panel cracks are not caused by the actual changing of the wheels and tires. They have been caused by improper lifting of the car. If you don't get the jack or lift pads on the correct position you can damage the car.

rail Jockey
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Check out this link to the skyroadster forum it is about lift points and panel cracks
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/sh...ht=Lift+points

crichson
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I picked up my base Sky last March and shortly therafter the dealer noticed the front quarter panel cracked on the drivers side. They replaced it with a panel painted by the supplier so I got a perfect match. I now own a Redline and haven't had that problem yet.

still2slow4me
04-06-2007, 03:22 PM
My rockers panels was cracked both sides took to the dealer and they are replaceing them both. I got it in December and now just getting to drive it.