PDA

View Full Version : Differential Oil Leak ( Huge puddle )

my98SL1
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi,
Just want to update all the SKY owners here-- Had noticed some oil from the under the car in the drive way - took it in today and when they hoisted the car .. there was huge puddle of oil just oozing out from the differential.
Hoping it is not gonna be fatal to the tranny.
Only have bout 5K on the car and was bought in July 06.

Disappointed ?? Not yet, but if the tranny goes.. I would like to have a word with the quality control guys at GM ( See the superbowl AD ?? ):snide:

K-1
02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi,
Just want to update all the SKY owners here-- Had noticed some oil from the under the car in the drive way - took it in today and when they hoisted the car .. there was huge puddle of oil just oozing out from the differential.

Disappointed ?? Not yet, but if the tranny goes.. I would like to have a word with the quality control guys at GM ( See the superbowl AD ?? ):snide:Is this a manual or automatic? If it's a manual, it's an Aisin, so you can blame Toyota.

my98SL1
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Its an automatic transmission : - ((

burnout
02-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Uhm, the differential isn't a part of the transmission.

K-1
02-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Uhm, the differential isn't a part of the transmission.:ugh: My brain is hampered by FWD cars. Stupid me. :dazed:

IIRC, the differential is the same as was used in the CTS. I do remember hearing about diff leaks back when it first came out. You'd think they would have that worked out by now.

JPDucketts
02-07-2007, 10:00 AM
we have seen a few cases here of the leaking rear diffs. most with low mileage (under 10,000 miles.) I recently serviced a Solstice and noticed the diff leaking. it had only 5500 miles on it.

my98SL1
02-08-2007, 02:58 PM
OK. So got the car back from the dealership today. The service tech told that there is a bulletin out from GM to fix this issue ( similar to the "Water intrusion into transmission" bulletin ).

So - SKY owners lookout - call and ask your dealership to bring the car in and get this fixed ( i am thinking that oil leaking from the differential is not a good thing )

But here is the catch or issue:
when trying to make a tight turn the rear passenger side tire seems to grind and skid :xeye: - kind of make a metal-metal rubbing noise, like its being pulled ( the sound is like gears grinding or something trying to turn in the wrong direction ). Does anyone know what could be the problem ? Please advise. Want to make a complete report to the dealership this time - lest they blow me off.

Thanks

my98SL1
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Updates:
Took the car back to the dealership to check out the "rubbing" noise described y'day. Was told that the tech who serviced the car for the differential oil leak -forgot to top off the oil in the differential well - so basically I drove the car around for almost a day and half without enough oil :mad: - don't know what kind of damage it could have done.

Lesson learn't - if there is a oil leak or whatever make sure that they top off the oil. Do not assume that these guys would do it for you.

Question: How do i rate/describe the visit to the dealership ? :ugh:

a: "Oops my bad"
b: "we will ask you to work with a diff service rep each time"
c: "Does not matter - we will screw you over again"

luciano
02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi,

Disappointed ?? Not yet, but if the tranny goes.. I would like to have a word with the quality control guys at GM ( See the superbowl AD ?? ):snide:

Add some ATP 205 reseal you will be amazed worked on a rack pinion stopped the leak for 2 years now