PDA

View Full Version : Front end is rattling...

jr.graff
01-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,
My '03 AWD Vue has been rattling(cant really think of another way to describe the noise- maybe lots of clicking) in the front as it goes over any kind of bumps. Just wonderin what i'm looking at needing to get repaired on it. Also when I take a tight turn my right front tire sounds like its grinding against something, I've been told its just that my tire is a bit too big - michelin 235/65R16 - nothin special I thought. But the left side doesnt grind at all so I dont think thats the prob. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Jake.

Tom92SCm
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
The front end rattle is most certainly your upper strut mount- common failure on VUEs. I just replaced mine (they re-designed them ~2005). Wasn't too hard- took about 90 minutes done with mostly hand tools and my air tools (could be done without them though). The dealer price was about $130 for the parts.

The grinding noise is probably a worn out wheel bearing. Also, a common failure problem on VUEs.

jr.graff
01-22-2007, 02:12 PM
thanks, are the struts a part that is better to pay the big bucks at the dealer or can i get that somewhere else?

Tom92SCm
01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
You struts are probably fine- the upper strut mount(s) are probably bad. Depending on your mileage, you may also want to replace your struts when you do this.

I couldn't find the mount anywhere BUT the dealer. Struts are also somewhat limited but someone on this board did just receive some Monroe struts.

Bob25thTA
01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Tom92 I am the guy with the new struts. Was going to install them Friday. After reading your post I guess I should buy new mounts. I have an 03 with 43000 miles. It makes all they usual Vue noises. What goes bad in the mount?

Tom92SCm
01-23-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm not exactly sure what goes bad- it just starts making noise. I couldn't find anything excessively worn out on mine (the bearing was a little rusty though). If I were replacing my struts, I would definitely replace the mounts as well since everything will be apart anyway.

jr.graff
01-23-2007, 11:15 AM
okay so if i'm running at about 57,000 i should def look at replacing the struts(assembly?) and mounts...

ssicarman
01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I would be looking at the front sway bar links as a source of a rattle/clunk noise. Next thing would be the front brake calipers. If the noise is not there with light braking it is the calipser slide pin bushings. The links are vrery common. Move the sway bar up and down at the links. If you feel any movement the links are bad.

Rivernut
01-27-2007, 08:22 AM
I have an '03 Vue AWD with 102,000 miles It was making the rattling noise, mostly when turning into a raised driveway. It doesn't do it any more. I sprayed some liquid wrench penetrating oil into it the tops of the front strut mounts. It got slowly better to where it no longer makes any nosie.:)

1saxman
01-27-2007, 09:49 AM
The most common cause of the rattling is the sway bar end links. More troubling is the 'tire-rubbing' noise, which is probably not tire rub. It's probably the 'drum' on the RDM that has gone bad. 235/65/16 is the standard tire for the '03, and if you'll look in the fender wells you won't find any rub spots. Get the Versatrak fluid in the rear end changed and see if it gets better. It might keep on working for many years if you can live with the slight noise on tight turns. Worst case, the drum will have to be replaced.

StormTrackVUE
03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
The front end rattle is most certainly your upper strut mount- common failure on VUEs. I just replaced mine (they re-designed them ~2005). Wasn't too hard- took about 90 minutes done with mostly hand tools and my air tools (could be done without them though). The dealer price was about $130 for the parts.

How did you go about doing this yourself? I am looking to replace mine and I don't want to do anything dangerous, stupid, or both. I cannot afford to take it to the dealer and pretty much can't trust them to do it right anyway.

Tom92SCm
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
It's been awhile, but here's the rough break down of the process:

-loosen lugs
-jack up VUE and remove tire
-remove the 2 bolts that hold the strut to the steering knuckle but don't remove the strut from the knuckle just yet, there should be some friction holding it in place
-unbolt the brake line bracket from the strut
-unbolt the 3 (4?) bolts up on top that hold the strut/strut mount to the chassis
-remove strut from knuckle (should slide off) and remove strut from wheel well
-using rented spring compressors from local auto part store, compress the spring (an impact gun or some other type of mechanical assist is really nice here but not needed). Try to compress the spring fairly evenly until the spring becomes loose.

Here's where I strayed a little from how you are "suppose" to do it, but here's how you are "suppose" to do it:
-use a box end wrench on the strut top nut and the appropriate Allen wrench in the center to remove the nut

The strut top nut on mine was not coming loose with this method and it was very difficult to hold this whole thing steady and apply the required force. I probably could have used my bench vice to hold everything, but the pnuematic impact gun was just too tempting so here's what I did:
-take your impact gun and set it on the lowest setting and remove the nut

**an impact gun CAN send the shocks from the impacts down the strut shaft and damage the internal seals and valves inside the strut body**

Keep track of how everything comes apart so you know it goes back together. The new mount will be slightly different due to the redesign, but it all still looks fairly similar. Installation is the reverse of removal.

It's all very straight forward. Use your head and take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't think you'll need an alignment because there isn't any adjustment room in anything that you take apart.

Good luck!

sspeer
03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure they really fixed the mount after the redesign, or whatever it is in the right front that about as quiet as a cranky 2 year old on coffee.. Mine's squeaking like nobody's business 2 months after they replaced it and supposedly 'greased it up'..it's especially bad on cold days!

I might be due for some new struts (at 29K miles???) because I went over a road hump in an intersection (at a decent clip to make the yellow) and when I hit the bottom of the hump I was floating like a 79 Buick

...and what's with me and the cliches today?...

rayzur9
03-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Squeak Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Stabilizer Bar End Links)
2002-2004 Saturn VUE Vehicles

Built After VIN Breakpoint 2S823040 and Prior to VIN Breakpoint 4S828475

Fixed Operations Manager, Parts Manager, and Technician

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years and Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-08-001 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a squeak noise from the front of the vehicle during slow speed maneuvers.

Cause
This condition may be caused by insufficient clearance in the stabilizer bar end link ball sockets.

Correction
Verify the condition by following the procedures in this bulletin, and if necessary, install new stabilizer bar end links, P/N 15141759 - left and P/N 15141760 - right.

Service Procedure
Verify the customer comment.
To put tension in the stabilizer bar, place one front wheel/tire assembly on a suitable elevated platform approximately 203.2 mm (8 in.) higher than the remaining three road wheels.
Rotate the steering wheel slowly from stop to stop.
Using Chassis Ear (SA 9217NE) or similar tool, determine the source of the noise.
If the noise is coming from the stabilizer bar end link, replace the noisy end link, P/N 15141759 - left and P/N 15141760 - right, using the "Front Stabilizer Bar Links" procedure in the Front Suspension section of the 2002-2003/2004 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual.
Verify the repair by performing step 1 above.

rayzur9
03-20-2007, 03:32 PM
What, NO crappy comment from WOP here? AMAZING.

The Math God
03-22-2007, 08:56 PM
sounds just like the problem that just developed in mine.
I'm about ready to get new tires, it this repair something my local Goodyear dealer could do while they have it?

Bigdaddy94sc2
03-23-2007, 03:05 AM
I would be looking at the front sway bar links as a source of a rattle/clunk noise. Next thing would be the front brake calipers. If the noise is not there with light braking it is the calipser slide pin bushings. The links are vrery common. Move the sway bar up and down at the links. If you feel any movement the links are bad.

Guarantee your problem is one of the two things he mentioned... Guaranteed.

Tom92SCm
03-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Guarantee your problem is one of the two things he mentioned... Guaranteed.

A new strut mount fixed my problem that sounded like the exact same problem.

Bigdaddy94sc2
03-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I understand that that fixed your problem, but I honestly dont know how. Unless that thing was mangled, it shouldnt cause a very fast rattle.... but hey, I dont doubt it.

99% of the time we have the rattle/tapping/clicking complaint at work, it is due to caliper bushings or SB links. The strut mounts usually cause a quick loud thud or a very long and annoying creaking sound. Just my experience with it.

pgreen
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I had what I think is the same problem today. Seems to be a rattle sounding like the upper strut is loose or something. More pronounced at low speeds and when the RF wheel is unloaded (like in a dip). With the car on the ground, we removed the large nut on the top of the strut using an impact wrench. Blew out all the crud and soaked it with a Teflon based spray lube. Retightened the nut and it seems to have gone away, at least for now.

I was waiting for my entire front suspension to fall off the car, the noise was getting that bad. It would come and go, but today was bad. After my little 'fix', it's gone.

Need to replace the RDM, need new windshield (thanks to Michigan road salt!), and will be on my 3rd set of tires by the end of the summer.

55K miles on 2006 Vue RL

pgreen
03-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I figured the quick fix would be short lived, and it was. The rattle is back, although not quite as bad as it was.

I guess I'll be taking it apart soon to see what is the root cause of the issue. I HATE rattles. I'll have to see where the looseness really is and maybe make a permanent fix. Don't want to redo this every 30K or so miles.

Phil

golftango
03-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I figured the quick fix would be short lived, and it was. The rattle is back, although not quite as bad as it was.

I guess I'll be taking it apart soon to see what is the root cause of the issue. I HATE rattles. I'll have to see where the looseness really is and maybe make a permanent fix. Don't want to redo this every 30K or so miles.

Phil

I can almost guarantee it is the sway bar links or the calipers...

The Math God
04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Taking mine in for dealer service today with a copy of the TSB posted by Rayzur9

Ritz
04-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I can almost guarantee it is the sway bar links or the calipers...

I just started to get the caliper rattle on ours (at 14k miles). If you pop off one of the tires, you can flop the caliper back and forth with your hand and recreate the noise. It's much more pronounced in cold weather. I might just fix this myself since I don't want to lose the use of the car for a day or two while the dealer screws around with it. Anyone got part numbers for the new and improved caliper carrier bushings?

Cheers,

danemobile
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I bookmarked the caliper information as it is on my to do list.
According to the attached link, the lower caliper pin bushing part number is 15824369 (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78154&highlight=brake)

golftango
04-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I had the rattle too, replaced the brakes with aftermarket pads and rotors and the rattle is gone.