PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler line replacement?

dildog
11-06-2006, 07:13 PM
:hothead:

Well in the sense of whatever can go wrong will go wrong came true on a simple radiator swap on the 1996 SL2. The auto transaxle cooler lines could not be removed from the radiator, no vice grip, heat or just about anything else would free them. So now I have to replace the lines.

It looks like a pain, any hints on the the removal of the old lines and the connection of the new lines to the transmission? I take it the filter will have to be removed, as well as some sensor in close proximity to them. Any other hints to get these lines replaced?

Where to get the lines on-line? Couldn't find them on SaturnParts.

Please help.. :)

Reference thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88335

Low Saturn
11-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Part numbers for those two lines are:

Upper line: 21030568
Lower line: 21030707

Just e-mail them at saturnparts.net with the part number and description and they'll get you a price.

Do not throw you old lines away yet, you'll need to remove the plastic quick connects from them an put them on the new lines. Also get the correct tool to install the new lines onto the radiator. You'll need a tool called a flare nut wrench. A regular wrench or vice grips will damage the nut.

Pick up a metric set of these.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/386.jpg

dildog
11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Part numbers for those two lines are:

Upper line: 21030568
Lower line: 21030707

Just e-mail them at saturnparts.net with the part number and description and they'll get you a price.

Do not throw you old lines away yet, you'll need to remove the plastic quick connects from them an put them on the new lines. Also get the correct tool to install the new lines onto the radiator. You'll need a tool called a flare nut wrench. A regular wrench or vice grips will damage the nut.

Pick up a metric set of these.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/386.jpg

Thanks.. Can you elaborate more on these quick connects? nothing on the radiator side is going to salvageable. Can the lines be quick disconnected from the transaxle? I could cut the metal part of the line so I could just use a sock on them, at least that would ensure no damage to the transaxle whilst removing them.

Low Saturn
11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
There are quick disconnects on the transmision side. You pinch the tabs and the line slides off.

http://www.differentracing.com/mike/parts/trannycoolerlines.gif

dildog
11-07-2006, 08:18 AM
There are quick disconnects on the transmision side. You pinch the tabs and the line slides off.

WOW! I had no idea. Any reason to replace those quick connects if they don't appear to be leaking? The car is 10 years old w/ 100k miles.

Thanks for posting that image, very helpful!

dildog
11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Here's the parts I ordered since the car is in pieces I might as well replace all these parts in search of that elusive 33MPG. :D

1. ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor)
2. AIT (air intake temperature)
3. TTS (transmission temp sensor)
4. upper transaxle cooling line
5. lower transaxle cooling line
6. Saturn Automatic transmission fluid filter

madpogue
11-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that they didn't put the quick-dis's on the RADIATOR end of those lines? Given that you're MUCH more likely to have to R&R the radiator than the tranny....

(Or, garsh, they might even have q-d'ed BOTH ends....)

Low Saturn
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah I've always wondered the same thing. But then again, with the correct tools, its really not that hard to do. Just remove the radiator with the lines attached, then use a flare nut wrench and remove the lines with the radiator out of the car.

Actually now that I think of it, My 2001 Suburban has quick disconnects on the radiator side too.

dildog
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah I've always wondered the same thing. But then again, with the correct tools, its really not that hard to do. Just remove the radiator with the lines attached, then use a flare nut wrench and remove the lines with the radiator out of the car.

Actually now that I think of it, My 2001 Suburban has quick disconnects on the radiator side too.

After talking to the techs here @ Chevrolet and Saturn it seems it's not uncommon to have to replace the fluid lines after 10 years, many times they just won't budge when removing the radiator. Luckily the new ones are only $11/each and a new QD for the transmission side is only $6. I guess it's not all that bad to replace them, I need to clean up the front of the transmission anyways.

Luke
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
> Low Saturn <
you'll need to remove the plastic quick connects > Mike <
Are they similar to the "quick disconnects" that is part of the fuel line which is connected to the fuel rail :?:

Low Saturn
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
> Mike <
Are they similar to the "quick disconnects" that is part of the fuel line which is connected to the fuel rail :?:

Exactly.

ssicarman
11-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Cars are not built for the ease of future repairs. They are built for the ease, speed and cost of assembly on the factory line. Easy to install threaded in lines to the rad before it hits the factory floor. Not so easy or fast to thread things into the trans on the moving line. Pushing in the line until it clicks in place is easy.

99 SL2
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm doing a radiator replacement on a 99 SL2 and figure I'll run into this problem. What size flare nut wrench do I need to get the cooler lines off the radiator?

Baron5867
05-17-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm doing a radiator replacement on a 99 SL2 and figure I'll run into this problem. What size flare nut wrench do I need to get the cooler lines off the radiator?
I believe that the flare nut wrenches are overrated, and that vise grips are the way to go IF you can "vise" them hard enough (eg, you have strong hands) and if you can get them into whatever space you have available. In the case of the radiator, disconnect hoses at the transmission and deal with the connections at the radiator after you remove the radiator from the car.

off-track
05-17-2012, 08:43 PM
If you read the many old threads (like this one), the cooler lines are notorious for being nearly impossible to remove 99. I'd just play it safe and order two new ones.

Baron5867
05-17-2012, 09:03 PM
If you read the many old threads (like this one), the cooler lines are notorious for being nearly impossible to remove 99. I'd just play it safe and order two new ones.
Yes, by all means. My reply above was not meant to imply that there is a way to guarantee to remove the cooler lines intact. I always advise having new ones on hand. Assume they will be destroyed when removed.

David 93 SL2m
05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm doing a radiator replacement on a 99 SL2 and figure I'll run into this problem. What size flare nut wrench do I need to get the cooler lines off the radiator?The size needed is 1/2 inch. I know, nearly all the sizes for things on our Saturns is in the metric system but this is one of the few exceptions.

13mm is close; slightly larger than 1/2 inch - but I'd suggest 1/2 inch instead of 13mm.

As others have pointed out, the nuts for the compression fittings on these automatic transmission cooler lines are extremely difficult to loosen and remove from the radiator without breaking something, and when replacing the radiator it is best to plan on replacing the automatic transmission cooler lines as well rather than reusing them.

blackeagle1
05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
The few times I have replaced the radiator on a S-series, I have only had to replace the bottom cooler line. That being said, I would have both on hand just in case. I found OEM (Delphi) cooler lines at Rockauto.com for less than the dealer. About $12 each plus shipping IIRC. I also got an OEM (Delphi) radiator from Rockauto.com for around $80.

ddeuces22
05-17-2012, 10:00 PM
I just had a smiliar problem. The nuts moved fine but the bottom line snapped at the metal part. I just cut the rubber line and purchased a double flared steel line with the right size adapter. Used a grinder to cut the steel line, slid it into the hose and double clamped it. Voila the line was good as new

m0topilot
03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Running into this problem and I cannot get the upper cooler line off. With the disconnects, can I just simply disconnect and reconnect the new line? Do I have to mess with the nuts when reconnecting?

Thanks,
Matt

off-track
03-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Welcome!

Are you replacing the radiator or the lines?

m0topilot
03-16-2014, 12:05 PM
I just wanted to reply to close out my experience. One of the lines from Autozone, I had to sand down with 280 grit sand paper because the quick disconnect part was out of spec while the other fit nicely. It was suggested by the autozone guy to sand it removing 0.001 of material at time. It took me about 5 minutes of twisting and turning the nozzel, but managed to get it to fit. Snapped right back in, and everything looks good - no leaks thank God.

This forum was indespensable in me saving a lot of money doing it myself.