PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering / Timming Chain issue!!

prostix
09-11-2006, 10:38 AM
I have a 2001 Saturn L-200 4cyl. Last week on my way to work the timming chain broke. The chain and values had to be replaced, needless to say it was very costly ($1800). When I picked my car up my power steering wasn't working. I have never had a problem with my power steering before this, and I assumed that they didn't hook something back up right which was the reason I had no power steering now. I took it back and he looked at it. He said the power steering pump was seized up which caused my timming chain to break. He said I need a new power steering pump. My question is: 1. Is that possible? 2. If what he says is true and I buy a pump, will this fix the problem? Shouldn't there be more damge to whatever drives the pump? 3. Until I get the pump fixed, will it hurt my car to drive it? Thanks,

Prostix

tackepj
09-11-2006, 11:45 AM
I have a 2001 Saturn L-200 4cyl. Last week on my way to work the timming chain broke. The chain and values had to be replaced, needless to say it was very costly ($1800). When I picked my car up my power steering wasn't working. I have never had a problem with my power steering before this, and I assumed that they didn't hook something back up right which was the reason I had no power steering now. I took it back and he looked at it. He said the power steering pump was seized up which caused my timming chain to break. He said I need a new power steering pump. My question is: 1. Is that possible? 2. If what he says is true and I buy a pump, will this fix the problem? Shouldn't there be more damge to whatever drives the pump? 3. Until I get the pump fixed, will it hurt my car to drive it? Thanks,

Prostix

I will not damage your car to continue driving without power steering for the time being. You will just end up with bigger arms. :)

As for the seized P/S pump causing the timing chain breakage, that's bunk. The PS pump is driven by an accessory belt--it has no connection to the timing chain. If it seized, the belt would break, but would not affect the timing system. Eventually the engine would quit running, though, because the alternator and water pump are also driven by the belt.

It's likely that the tech removed the serpentine belt to do the timing chain job and didn't (for some reason) install the belt over the PS pump pulley or something. DEFINITELY get another opinion--this is really fishy.

Bigdaddy94sc2
09-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I will not damage your car to continue driving without power steering for the time being. You will just end up with bigger arms. :)

As for the seized P/S pump causing the timing chain breakage, that's bunk. The PS pump is driven by an accessory belt--it has no connection to the timing chain. If it seized, the belt would break, but would not affect the timing system. Eventually the engine would quit running, though, because the alternator and water pump are also driven by the belt.

It's likely that the tech removed the serpentine belt to do the timing chain job and didn't (for some reason) install the belt over the PS pump pulley or something. DEFINITELY get another opinion--this is really fishy.

You obviously dont know how a 4 cyl L car has PS. It is driven off a pump on the end of the intake cam. It seizing is probably the reason the chain broke, so they arent blowing smoke up your ....

saturn_69
09-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Actually, the PS pump on the L-series is driven by the intake camshaft, on the driver's side of the engine, and not by a belt. If you look on the right side of this picture, you will see the fluid reservoir which is directly attached to the pump on the L-series with Ecotec 4cyl.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/SaturnL/Images/Engine-med.jpg

tackepj
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
You obviously dont know how a 4 cyl L car has PS. It is driven off a pump on the end of the intake cam. It seizing is probably the reason the chain broke, so they arent blowing smoke up your ....

I stand corrected--I just assumed that the car had a belt-driven PS pump. Thanks for clearing the record--no need to be rude. :yes:

The L81 has a belt-driven PS pump, right?

I've never heard of a seized PS pump causing a broken chain--this is new to me.

saturn_69
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I stand corrected--I just assumed that the car had a belt-driven PS pump. Thanks for clearing the record--no need to be rude. :yes:

The L81 has a belt-driven PS pump, right?

I've never heard of a seized PS pump causing a broken chain--this is new to me.
Yes, the V6 is belt driven. Since the camshaft is linked directly to the pump, and if the pump were to seize it may stop the camshaft, which could break the chain. Hypothetically, of course.

tackepj
09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes, the V6 is belt driven. Since the camshaft is linked directly to the pump, and if the pump were to seize it may stop the camshaft, which could break the chain. Hypothetically, of course.

Makes sense that it could break, definitely. Interesting design.

But in this case, if the pump seized enough to snap the chain and the tech didn't replace the pump, how it is even running at all? Could the seized pump just spin on the shaft or something?