PDA

View Full Version : How to make that engine shine

Pioneer_Saturn
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey everyone. We Saturns have a huge advantage when make our engines look good...and that adavantage is almost everything is plastic. This is how you can make that engine shine.

1) Get a couple (or more depending on how dirty the engine is) old T-shirts and cut each of them in half.

2) Get a bottle of Windex and a bottle of ArmorAll Ultra-Shine.

3) Spray the first rag with windex (untill its fairly saturated...not quite wet though)

4) Wipe down every surface of the engine with the rag (you may need to repeat this same process with your next rage)

5) Once the engine is pretty clean...spray the next rage with ArmorAll Ultra-Shine and wipe down all visible plastic pieces

6) Now you have a nice shiny engine...The ArmorAll Ultra-Shine wont wear off for a long time and is perfectly safe to use...Ive been doing this for almost 2 years now. I would suggest to never use those engine detailer in the aerosol (however you spell it) cans...Ive tried those and it leave a filthy residue that doesnt really help the situation.

-If you do this about 3-6 times a year, your engine will be shiny 24/7. And this process only take about 10 minutes or less.

-I would highly recommend doing this if youre about to sell your car too. The buyer will take one look at the engine bay and know that the car has been taken care of...a big plus when looking at a car.

Any questions write me back.
Pioneer_Saturn...out:D

PlasticCarsRock
03-25-2006, 05:54 PM
-I would highly recommend doing this if youre about to sell your car too. The buyer will take one look at the engine bay and know that the car has been taken care of...a big plus when looking at a car.
Pioneer_Saturn...out:D
Or they may think that it's leaking (oil) and your trying to cover it up. It's a common ploy used by less than honest used car dealers.
For most customers, it's probably a good thing for the engine to look shiny (that's why the dealers spend the time to do it).
Even a knowledgeable customer will probably be satisfied if you give them a long test drive, ending with another inspection of the engine compartment showing an equally clean engine.
Great procedure...I plan on doing it myself when it warms up a bit.

David 93 SL2m
03-25-2006, 10:52 PM
2) Get a bottle of Windex and...Simple Green works very well too.

http://www.simplegreen.com/
http://consumer.simplegreen.com/images/cons_prod_con_img_ori.jpg

Uzzy
03-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Simple Green works very well too.

But isn't that made of people? :D

wolfman
03-26-2006, 04:32 AM
But isn't that made of people? :D

That's Soylent Green

asgardshill
03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
That's Soylent Green

Considering Charlton Heston's unfortunate health problems of late, perhaps "Simple Green" is a better descriptive phrase ...

(I am SO going to hell for that observation ...)

Uzzy
03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
That's Soylent Green
But it tastes soo good. :whoa:

Back to the topic at hand, I bought a $4 bottle of Gunk brand, gel engine cleaner. Coated an engine in a '92 SL2 that was oil sprayed and had a crack in the head severe enough to spray pressurized oil onto the header pipe. This engine was filty. We sprayed it on and it had a good 15 mins to 'work' while we tried to figure out why the pressure washer wasn't working. Got it working and washed the engine. Totally unimpressed. :no: My friend handed me a regular spray bottle of the stuff the dealer uses for engine cleaning (he's a Tech there) As I sprayed I could watch the stuff left behind by the Gunk gel, and the pressure washer, literally melt away from the cam cover, and header. That is some good stuff. :yes:

Misplacedcowboy
03-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Another quick responce to making your engine compatrment glow. 1) Power wash your engine compatrment clean. 2) Spray the engine compartment with any of the available Instant Tire Foam products. 3) Wait 10 minutes and then wipe any of the water spot areas. Your engine compartment will look beautifuly detailed with just the right amount of gloss. When told about this I did not believe it as it was too easy. Give it a shot as you will be shocked what this simple detail trick will do for you.

93 sw2
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I dont know about you but i clean my whole engine with wd 40, works like a god damn charm. Screw windex and armor all !

Squareback
03-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Who's honestly going to sit there with Windex and clean their motor? Who has this much time on their hands? Get yourself a spray bottle of purple power degreaser, spray the engine down, hose it off, then hit it with an aerosol tire shine product. You'll be done in 10 minutes. Here's the engine on the '01 SW2 I just picked up. 107K miles on it, and my sister's '97 SL2, 92K miles on it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/bigdog8176/IMG_1628.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/bigdog8176/IMG_1626.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/bigdog8176/IMG_1695.jpg

marx404
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Simple Green works very well too.

+ 1 on the SimpleGreen. Less cleaning and wiping and biodegradable. Its a known secret of dirt bikers to clean their machines and the SG helps protect from further collection of dirt sticking.

fyi, in some hot states, ArmorAll is a no-no especially on many plastics and rubber surfaces as once it dries if you do not keep applying it the surface will eventually dry and crack.
I found this out the hard way with my dash in FL one hot summer. I have been using F21 by TurtleWax instead. ArmorAll may also damage under hood stickers too.

The pics look good. A clean engine is a happy engine.

wolfman
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I dont know about you but i clean my whole engine with wd 40, works like a god damn charm. Screw windex and armor all !

You do know that WD40 is flammable right?

marx404
03-27-2009, 05:43 PM
You do know that WD40 is flammable right?

Yea, but everyone knows flames make the car appear faster.

Good detailing tips can be found here:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php?

1994Saturn
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
I actually use tire shine. (any brand) for the under the hood shine.. works pretty good, but can collect dust... but i do it often, so all is well. :D

linuxdude
04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Oiling the engine to "look good" was something that seemed to happen a lot when I was in the army way back when. It was pretty funny when during a VIP inspection the VIP asked for the crew to fire up their Bradley so he could hear it run. Done, after a few minutes the oil sheen started smoking, then broke into flames. Which triggered an auto extinguisher and all kinds of chaos.

OZARKJAY
04-05-2009, 03:06 PM
NOT TO SHINEY
I use a Calfornia duster every 2 weeks and then apply spray silicone
bought at wallmart. It leaves a nice low luster shine and is good for the hoses etc. Also works great to preserve all the door/trunk & hood gaskets !!

Old Detailer ..........

wednesday
05-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Can you really just hose the engine down after applying the degreaser? It won't hurt anything? I just watched a youtube video on cleaning a car engine and the narrator mentions covering the distributor cap if your car has one. I have a 95 SL2 (DOHC), would that engine have anything I need to cover up?

Thanks!!!!

marx404
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Can you really just hose the engine down after applying the degreaser? It won't hurt anything? I just watched a youtube video on cleaning a car engine and the narrator mentions covering the distributor cap if your car has one. I have a 95 SL2 (DOHC), would that engine have anything I need to cover up?

Thanks!!!!

I use only Simple Green and a toothbrush to clean my engine bay. You'll want to use a plastic grocery bag (check for holes) to cover your distributor. Have a hose ready set on a medium spray, NOT blasting hard as this may cause dirt to actually blow into any vital parts and not rinse off which is what you are trying to accomplish.

Spray the engine bay when it is cold, not hot with water to loosen any dirt then spray with Simple Green. Scrub any bad spots with your toothbrush (an old one preferably, lol). Let it set only a few minutes, rinse thoroughly. Also rinse off your fenders to prevent any spotting. Remove the plastic bag, wipe any excess water off with a clean rag and IMMEDIATELY start your engine to dry, let the engine run for awhile.

99satsc2dohc
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah...you def. want to make sure not to get it on the dist. and such, did that years ago...thats when I realized punching a dash in an older car and make it split RIGHT down the middle!

SaturnSdn
05-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Cleaning under the hood has never been a hard thing to do.

Pictures
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137886

Squareback
05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Of course--no Saturn ever made even HAS a distributor, making it unbeleivably difficult to cover it with a bag. :ugh: Hose away, everything in the engine compartment was designed to get wet.

SaturnSdn
05-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Of course--no Saturn ever made even HAS a distributor, making it unbeleivably difficult to cover it with a bag. :ugh: Hose away, everything in the engine compartment was designed to get wet.

Thats hard for some to grasp....be sure to cover the carburator while your at it ...... LOL.

Swordfish
10-06-2009, 03:04 AM
I doubt not that I must cover my distributor and my carburator (lol), one question I do have, is concerning the alternator. No need to worry about water seeping in there? And how about the air intake?

04-23-2011, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=Squareback;1423532]Who's honestly going to sit there with Windex and clean their motor? Who has this much time on their hands? Get yourself a spray bottle of purple power degreaser, spray the engine down, hose it off, then hit it with an aerosol tire shine product. You'll be done in 10 minutes. Here's the engine on the '01 SW2 I just picked up. 107K miles on it, and my sister's '97 SL2, 92K miles on it.

Just did this even without simple green it definately looks way better than before.!!!!!

10Miler
04-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I always see people post things like "just spray with purple power or simple green the rinse off with hose." This works fine for the cam cover and resevoirs on top of the motor, but what about for the head and other parts below that? I've found that the head is actually silver and not black! But it needs some help. What brushes are best for cleaning it? I know that microfiber cloths work best for cleaning and I have some old ones I can use, but those really only work well for the top parts too!

Robcatastrophic
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm going to post before and after pics on in a couple days here, thanks for writeup!

99Homecoming
05-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Those engine bays look great. My car is clean, but engine not so much. Time to get some degreaser and a pressure washer!

kiran
07-04-2013, 02:05 PM
NOT TO SHINEY
I use a Calfornia duster every 2 weeks and then apply spray silicone
bought at wallmart. It leaves a nice low luster shine and is good for the hoses etc. Also works great to preserve all the door/trunk & hood gaskets !!

Old Detailer ..........

I found another way.
First of all I covered my air filter, spark plugs and coil pack then got to work.
I pierced the white bubble of a Tide Pod, mixed it in a spray bottle with some hot water. Then lightly sprayed the engine with a hose. I sprayed the hell out of the engine bay with the detergent solution and let it sit but not long enough to dry. Then you just spray it off with the hose with a fair amount of pressure, taking caution not to hit electrical areas hard. I let it dry out in the sun and BAM. Sexy and Clean!

DawnR
05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
I get confused when I read different opinions.

So can I get it wet or not?
Do I need to cover anything or not?

Years ago I did an engine with the pressure washer
from a self car wash place.
It did not hurt anything and it worked great!

So can I do that on my new used Saturn?