PDA

View Full Version : 2003 ion shutting off dangerously

jmettee
12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Seems your Saturn has one of the rare, but potentially dangerous problems. It's been a while since I've seen this come up....I believe it was only a problem on 2003's. Not sure what the issue was, but I think it may have been the ignition module. There have been some that perodically decide not to work in the cold. Not sure what part of the world you're in, but this could be a cause.

Please report back with what the dealer says.

J

sds40
12-06-2005, 01:22 AM
40k miles on car. 1 month ago, once a week for 3 wks, electric dash blinks off, 1 second, then goes back on while driving. Then 1 day does it 2x warming up car, 10 minutes later shuts off completely at busy intersection, no lights, no 4 ways, very dangerous in the dark. About 30 seconds later, 4ways come on and it restarts and I go. Dealer tries for 1 day to duplicate and cannot or find anything wrong. 10 days nothing goes wrong. 11th day, after warming up for work 10 min., try to put it in gear, 5spd, shuts off completely. I do have headlights but nothing else. I try every 5 minutes for 15 minutes, nothing but headlights will turn on. 4th try in and out of the car, it has electric back, starts and I drive home. Any ideas?? Please help!!!

sds40
12-06-2005, 04:25 AM
UPDATE- tried to use car today. less than a mile and car died again. 5 minutes again in a busy intersection, car got electric back and started, 1 minute later died again, drifted into parking spot, only lights come on and the dials on the dash are stuck where they were when the car shut off, ex: speedometer is stuck at 30mph. Having it towed to saturn now.

sds40
12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
jmettee, I'm in eastern pa.

sds40
12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
update-waiting for car to be towed, doing research on recalls for my car. 2 sites have conflicting info. autosite.com and alldata.com. alldata.com has a recall listed tsb#03069 for a body control module software update. saturn corporation say it doesn't exist as a recall, but just a bulletin for technicians. Alldata.com says it's research shows that it was a recall, but that saturn can remove or end the recall. If this is a part that they try to replace to fix the problem, do I have any recourse saying that the part was recalled at one time? A bit ahead of myself before the second try for dealer to fix, but I'm frustrated. Thanks for listening and any help!!

Lokanna
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
What part of PA? I bought my Ion from Saturn of West Chester (I live in DE). I'm curious to find out what dealership you take it to and how they handle your issue, just as a 'headsup' for me should a time arise when I need work done on my vehicle. Sorry about your troubles :( I really hope you're able to get this resolved.

bigc791
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
There is also a bul. about people having mass amounts of keys and such on their key rings and they turn the car off. The ign lock cyl in these cars arent too tough.
Carmen

sds40
12-07-2005, 01:28 PM
The dealer gave me that bulletin when they couldn't find anything wrong my first visit. I switched to a 1 key plastic keychain, thanks for the info.

sds40
12-24-2005, 09:20 AM
BIG UPDATE 12-6 dealer found circuit failure from circuit p 1807 purple wire not making a connection to ipc circuit. I picked up the car. Immediately 1 of the bulbs behind speedometer was off. I tapped it and it came on. Also, electric blinked and dials dropped to zero and immediately came back on. I almost took the rental back and left it there. I took it and it ran good for 2 weeks. Then it began to have no electrical again for 15 minutes on 2 cold mornings, each time power came back. 3rd day it was warmer, over freezing, and it started no problem. 4th day, today christmas eve, it's warm and I have no electrical again, only headlights. If a problem can't be fixed by dealer after 3 attempts, I heard I can try to get saturn to buy the car back. There's another 5 years older saturn dealer not far. Should I try them? What does anybody think I should do here?

ATARIPITBULL
12-24-2005, 09:51 AM
My 2003 Ion also lost electrical power last week, while driving home from work, the driver side windshield wiper motor just broke in mid wipe and the arm went completely off the car and was resting on the fender and just as that happend, my car lost motor lost power, even though the dash board was still on, I got out of my car and pushed the wiper back into place, when I got back into the car the power came back one and the motor started, I took it to a Saturn dealer who had his people replace the wiper and wiper motor for free, but he said his people could not figure out how the motor died.

:dizzy: :upset: :x

sds40
12-29-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm playing waiting game now. Car had no electric all weekend, dead except for lights. Dealer has it 2nd day now, says it found code in computer relating to lost communication between IPC and IPC junction block. They changed wire they picked out between the 2 terminals that caused that code. They said they would test drive to see if that was problem or if it's something more. They don't sound too confident. I've gotten a suggestion or 2. One saying to check coil packs? Any other ideas, please help!!!!! Thanks.

sds40
01-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Jan. 7. Wire fix lasted 9 days this time. Same exact problem. No electrical power at all to start car. 20 min. later it starts, goes 10 ft., then car dies with speedo and other dials stuck in position. 3x for same exact problem, 2 fixes that only last a couple weeks. This car, if not fixed properly is a safety threat to myself and anyone else on the road around me. Do I have to explain that to the dealer???

jmettee
01-08-2006, 08:34 AM
3rd time for the same problems means Lemon Law & sounds like you should head down that path. Definitely sounds like a safety issue that the dealer is unable to properly diagnose & repair.

Only takes 1 time to shutoff at the right time to produce an unfavorable result.

Good Luck

J

sds40
01-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm at 42,000 miles. There's no legal action possible after 12,000 miles correct?

sds40
01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Saturn dealer has now found new computer codes for the exact same symptoms it was in for 3x. The fix requires a new body control module and an ignition switch. Cost 400 parts and 400 labor.

bigc791
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
BCM would have been the first thing i would have done to it. most electrical issues in these cars start there.
Carmen

jmettee
01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm at 42,000 miles. There's no legal action possible after 12,000 miles correct?

What mileage was your first instance of this issue? (you mention 40k above, but not sure if this was the first instance) If it happened before the 3 year/36000 mile warranty expired, I would fight to have it replace free since the problem existed before the warranty expired & the dealer failed to fix it multiple times, causing you to waste your time/lose pay/etc.

J

sds40
01-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Started at 40k, 2.5 yrs. of ownership.

sds40
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Ok, I've paid the 700+ dollars for repair computer(control), body- replace $250, bcm $405, ignition switch $37.75. I have car 1 day. Morning start gives me the service engine message flashing and pass/lock light on. Shut the car off, restart and their gone? All the radio stations are reset? Is that from one of the new parts?