PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Vue's towing capacity

jrforget
08-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi,

Anybody out there with experience to share? I am thinking about buying a used 2004 Saturn Vue V6 3.5 l to pull my boat which weighs 2700 lb (trailer included). The specs indicate that the Vue V6 does good milleage and can pull up to 3500 lb. Now I read in the 2006 Vue specs that the towing capacity is 3500 lb with trailer brakes. What's going on? What's that change all about? Thanks.

jrf in Canada

ssicarman
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
The 2004 VUE is rated for 3500 pound traler weight with the 3.5 V6. As for the 2006 one I have not seen anything for that. So towing the 2700 pounds that you plan on pulling you should have no problem at all.

I personally would not want to pull any thing more than about 50% of the tow rig weight without some kind of braking system for it.

Swishguy
08-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I pull my 2800 pound glastron boat with my 05 AWD Vue with absolutely zero problems. It actually does well hitting 80 mph while passing too!

2004NJVue
08-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I own a 2004 AWD V6 Vue and have used it to tow ocasionally. I installed a class III hitch and it handles everything I throw at it with relative ease so far. I've towed other vehicles (cars and a jeep), a couple various boats (sail boats and speed boats), a pair of jetskis, and most recently a "pick up bed trailer" loaded to the brim with firewood, tools, and othe suplies for my friends undeveloped property in the Poconos. That last trip was probably the hardest...AC on, 5 guys (about 200 pounds each) and a filled cargo area (filled cooler, and mroe equipment). I never pushed it hard to speed with this load (or any load) but it had the power to pull it up the mountains and even a muddy trail. Once in the mountains I used the "I" gear a lot to kepp the trani from going nuts and to help keep my speeds down on the hills. I had no problem keeping up with my friends F150 that was also loaded down.

As for boats and boat ramps...I have yet to tow a 3,000 pound boat, but what I have towed has not been an issue for the Vue yet.

Only the pickup bed trailor had brakes on it. They were not electric, but hydraulic...and they definately helped to stop the Vue and trailor. Just leave extra stopping space and properly maintain the Vue (and trailor) and all will be great.

jrforget
08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Thank you guys for the information and advice. Much appreciated. jrf

kej53
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I don't tow a boat, but I do tow two snowmobiles in an enclosed trailer with all the riding gear, suitcases, tools, cooler, etc. Plus my buddy and all his stuff. It pulls like a dream and handles the Maine snowy roads with no problem. My vue is only FWD to boot. I can't say enough good things about this vehicle.

Chefrubeo
09-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I own a 2005 Vue with all of the possible options. I tow a 3400 pound trailer camper on a regular basis. I have towed it up the western side of Denver I-70, up mountain passes that are above tree line with very little issues. I love the way this thing pulls. It has lots of power..... Of course the trailer has brakes, it weighs more than the Vue. The only time I had any issues was on a very steep incline. I had to stop for something & getting going again was a little bit of a challenge. The front of the Vue is so light that the tires tend to spin for a second before the AWD kicks in, if you stomp on it. I am very pleased with my choice of SUV. The towing mileage can get low.... When pulling uphill & at speeds above 60, the mileage is 10mpg, no matter ....

A question for anyone out there:
I want to replace my rear shocks with heavier ones, for towing. The original ones are going & I want a heavier set. Can I have some input??
Chefrubeo@hotmail.com
David Rubeo

VTchemist
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I've got a class III hitch on my 03 VUE. I pull a sailboat. Total weight is only 1,200 lbs.

With a class III, you can pull 3,500 lbs. Tongue weight is around 300. This is hitch-dependent.

The problem with towing over 1,500 lbs with the VUE is stopping everything. My info states a towed trailer over 1,500 should have brakes.

Another factor to consider is adding a transmission cooler. There are DIY kits to fit all VUEs. If you are going to pull a load that requires brakes, I'd invest in a transmission fluid cooler.

far2grumpy
09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I own a 2005 Vue with all of the possible options. I tow a 3400 pound trailer camper on a regular basis. I have towed it up the western side of Denver I-70, up mountain passes that are above tree line with very little issues. I love the way this thing pulls. It has lots of power..... Of course the trailer has brakes, it weighs more than the Vue. The only time I had any issues was on a very steep incline. I had to stop for something & getting going again was a little bit of a challenge. The front of the Vue is so light that the tires tend to spin for a second before the AWD kicks in, if you stomp on it. I am very pleased with my choice of SUV. The towing mileage can get low.... When pulling uphill & at speeds above 60, the mileage is 10mpg, no matter ....

A question for anyone out there:
I want to replace my rear shocks with heavier ones, for towing. The original ones are going & I want a heavier set. Can I have some input??
Chefrubeo@hotmail.com
David Rubeo

Chef ... I can't offer suggestions for the shocks but cringe when I read about some of your operating techniques ... many which appear to push the Vue to the margins of common sense.

To be honest ... if and when you trade the Vue there should be some means of alerting future buyers of the wear and tear its been subjected to.

Many forum membership who are second and subsequent Vue owners complain loud and long of engine, transmission, brake, suspension and other drive-train issues of their Vue. Most use mileage as criteria but anyone reading your post could see how - even a low miles truck could be risky business.

I hope you're conscientious about the accelerated maintenance schedules listed in the owners manual for severe service (ex: new timing belt at 50,000 miles), as well as staying ahead of the curve for oil changes and ATF, RDM and PTU fluids.

For your benefit and any unfortunate sod who might be a subsequent owner.

3RedLines
09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
You may want to consider some stock shocks with These airbags (http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/60727-saturn-vue-air-springs.html?id=AxWDLDcF)

isoozoo
10-21-2012, 01:25 AM
In Washington State, it is a legal requirement that when towing any trailer 3000 pounds or heavier, it must be equipped with brakes.

Joel

Rodger
10-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Hello All

I have read this three times in this year now and every time I always
have that " I gotta say something" feeling.

1. In every State or Territory of the USA the first set of questions when
there is an accident or issue with an vehicle pulling an trailer the Officer
will ask if the trailer has working brakes. Only after the local regulations
are edited this will be settled.

1A. This is the same questions every insurance company will look at.

1B. If this is in another State or Territory than where the Driver -
Vehicle or Trailer is from ... The Location of The Incident Regulations
are used. This means if you live in an location that requires Trailer Brakes
at 10,000 pounds and you cross to an place that requires Trailer Brakes at
900 pounds - then 900 pounds rules.

2. Every Frame Mounted Trailer Hitch made for any Vue is Max Load Spec'd to 3,500 pounds in The USA.

3. With any vehicle it is The Springs that effect the load carrying ability. The marketing sales pitch of better shocks/ stuts for loads is just as much "snake oil" as painting flames on the front quarter to show others
that you have an fast vehicle.

The information from Joel about Trailer Brakes and The Trailer Brake Controller is very good and it does not take away anything even if you have them on an Lawn Mower Trailer says your Insurance Aqent.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs