PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Symbols Question?

red0313
08-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I just got my 2004 L300 a while ago. It didn't have an owner's manual in it so I still have to order one. But in the mean time the different symbols keep lighting up and I have no idea what they mean. Can someone help me decode these?

1. Looks like an oil can with a wrench below it.
2. Looks like the outline of a car with a wrench inside it.

I am sure there will be more that I'm unsure about but if someone can help I would appreciate it.

OhioVueBoy
08-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Oil can with a wrench below it means the car wants its oil changed. This has to be reset manually at each oil change, using a switch in the underhood fuse box.

The outline of a car with the wrench in it is known as the "service" light or the "wrench" light. It's not a good thing when it comes on - it usually means there is something wrong with the car, that is not an emissions component. Take it to a retailer and have that checked out.

~D.J.~

tackepj
08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Isn't it nice that they use a symbol instead of the words "change oil soon"? The first time mine went on I came to an abrubt stop at the side of the road thinking the oil pressure light had just come on.

Just to let you know, I'm not sure if there is a reset button on the fuse panel in the '03 and up models. My '05 has a different procedure: turn the key to the "on" position and fully depress the accelerator to the floor three times in a row to reset it...there is no actual reset button.

OhioVueBoy
08-01-2005, 09:41 PM
The '02 and down gauge cluster use letters... I prefer symbols myself - once you know what they mean, they make a cleaner appearance.
~D.J.~

usa4624
08-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Personally, I like words. I think they look better than symbols, and they're easier to understand. To me, they symbols look cheap.

Another potential issue: Ford has started using symbols on some of their vehicles, and they do not always have the same meaning as GM / Saturn.

My personal favorite from Ford is the low power steering light; it looks like a corkscrew.

OhioVueBoy
08-02-2005, 07:30 AM
My personal favorite from Ford is the low power steering light; it looks like a corkscrew.
LMAO... only Ford would need a low power steering fluid light. I can still hear my uncle's Aerostar in my mind...
than again, the L is no saint with PS issues...
~D.J.~

cbone99sc2
08-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Isn't it nice that they use a symbol instead of the words "change oil soon"? The first time mine went on I came to an abrubt stop at the side of the road thinking the oil pressure light had just come on.

Just to let you know, I'm not sure if there is a reset button on the fuse panel in the '03 and up models. My '05 has a different procedure: turn the key to the "on" position and fully depress the accelerator to the floor three times in a row to reset it...there is no actual reset button.

thats the exact same way to reset the change oil light on 2000 and newer Monte Carlos.

Qlara
08-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Same to the VUE with Honda engine.
Floor the gas padel to reset.....

I prefer Words too. Symbols make me (and other car owners) wonder the meaning if not deciphered with the owner's manual first.

OhioVueBoy
08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
thats the exact same way to reset the change oil light on 2000 and newer Monte Carlos.
Many GM cars use this method. Actually, on the 2000+ Monte Carlo, it's easier to go in through the settings menu on the radio and clear it.
~D.J.~