PDA

View Full Version : Locking gas cap?

My1stSUV
10-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Has anyone replaced the factory original gas cap with the locking version?
Wondering if its tethered like the non-locking version and what was involved in swapping them.

vue0404
10-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by My1stSUV
Has anyone replaced the factory original gas cap with the locking version?
Wondering if its tethered like the non-locking version and what was involved in swapping them.

I purchased a locking gas cap from my dealer. It cost $30, ouch! I tried to find an after market cap but couldn't. It isn't tethered. The key hole goes where the tether is on the non-locking version.

It's very easy to change, the tether just snaps off from its connection point. I'm sure if you buy it from your dealer they will install it for no charge as a courtesy to you.

20VUE06
10-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Just consider what happens if something happens with the lock if it is damaged. How do you get it off? I installed one on my old grand prix and about two weeks later, I had trouble getting my key removed from the lock itself. I thought it was no big deal, and then I had an issue with the key not turning about a week later. I assume the lock was defective, but it sure scared me to the point that I installed the original... No more fuss.

VUEnumber1
10-09-2004, 07:22 PM
I ordered one online I received p/n 10326376.

My Saturn accessories sheet shows p/n 22692173.

Seeing as how the one I have doesn't fit, I'm going to exchange it for the correct part.

I'll let you know how it works.

I've had a locking gas cap on my 72 Buick for about 9 years, no problems.

stew32
10-09-2004, 07:40 PM
I have one. It's annoying that it isn't tethered and there's no mechanism to hang the cap. My old Nissan truck had a place to hang the cap on the door (technical name- "orange thingy"). So I usually sit mine on top of the rear tire. One day I'll forget and crush it driving off...

I've had locking gas caps on my previous two vehicles and never had any problems with the locks.

If you get one from the dealership and they put it on, make sure you get the original one back.

My1stSUV
10-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by stew32
If you get one from the dealership and they put it on, make sure you get the original one back.

Good point.

BTW, those that have one, would there be a way to add a tether to it?

bk63
10-09-2004, 10:40 PM
My 03 VUE had a cap that had regular threads on it, you kind of just screw it on until it clicks. The 04 has a different kind of cap. Almost like a push and turn deal, no threads. I was wondering if I could get a locking cap for the 04 as we have a neighborhood full of teenagers that are often up to no good and I've had some neighbors that have had trouble with stuff put into their gas tanks. Does anybody know if you can get a locking cap for the 04's ?

My1stSUV
10-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by bk63
My 03 VUE had a cap that had regular threads on it, you kind of just screw it on until it clicks. The 04 has a different kind of cap. Almost like a push and turn deal, no threads. I was wondering if I could get a locking cap for the 04 as we have a neighborhood full of teenagers that are often up to no good and I've had some neighbors that have had trouble with stuff put into their gas tanks. Does anybody know if you can get a locking cap for the 04's ?

The gas cap on our new 04 Vue screws in and clicks. It seems to be the same design as what was on our Sentra that we got rid of.

My1stSUV
10-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Locking Gas Cap
2004-2005 VUE ONLY

Locking Gas Cap
2002-2003 VUE ONLY

Found these two listed on Saturnparts.net.

D C
10-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Why a locking cap? The last locking cap I saw on a car came right off after I stuck the screwdriver bit of my leatherman in the keyhold and turned. It was the exact same type of GM cap that the VUE uses, put in & twist (not screw-in)

burlyvue2
10-09-2004, 11:13 PM
It is silly that there is no tether available for the locking gas cap. I bought mine and tried to retrofit the old tether onto the locking cap. It was a good try but did not work. Saturn has been building Vues for a few years now and must be aware of this. The tether is needed for the locking cap to prevent us from ever leaving it behind.

Remember Folks... No Cap Left Behind

:zzz:

russellhome
10-09-2004, 11:24 PM
I agree. I bought one but have not used it because it does not have a tether. There is a deep grove around the outer cap that looks like it put there for a tether. In fact, I thought it was a mistake and I went back to Saturn to complain that the tether was missing from the cap I purchased. They told me it did not come with one - nor was there one available for it.

I suppose it would not be too hard to fashion one -- just get an o-ring and some sort of cord. You might also be able to put a screw through the handle of the cap as well.

http://test.idsimis.com/images/lockcap.jpg

If gas gets any more expendsive, I might have to start using it. But I'm sure I'll lose it if I don't have it tethered.

D C
10-09-2004, 11:28 PM
As for the tether problem...
Where do you keep the key for the locking cap? On the keyring with the ignition key? Why not just unlock the cap, remove it but leave the key in it, set the key/cap down together. You can't drive off without your keys, and you won't forget to put the gas cap back on if you have to pick it up to get your keys.

KoolVue
10-10-2004, 12:54 AM
If you catch a teenager screwing with your gas tank you should pop his ass with a pelet gun.

MtnVUEShadow
10-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by KoolVue
If you catch a teenager screwing with your gas tank you should pop his ass with a pelet gun.

Agreed.

I have a locking cap, and I once did leave it at a gas pump and then couldn't figure out why an entire tank of gas was gone in 250 miles. The check engine light came on after 225 miles on a 30 mile stretch of highway.

I have since bought a new one, but now that I've lost one, I always check and double-check to make sure I don't leave it.

The cap handle is solid and a screw should work. Never tried it, but I guess there's always time on my next day off....I still have the old cap with the tether so maybe I'll try and let you know.

KoolVue
10-10-2004, 03:10 AM
I bet you can use some expoy (sp) and afix the end of the factor tether to the new locking gas cap.

vue0404
10-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by D C
As for the tether problem...
Where do you keep the key for the locking cap? On the keyring with the ignition key? Why not just unlock the cap, remove it but leave the key in it, set the key/cap down together. You can't drive off without your keys, and you won't forget to put the gas cap back on if you have to pick it up to get your keys.

Exactly. I hold the gas cap with the keys still in it in one hand, while holding the fuel nozzle with the other hand. Doing this you will never forget your gas cap.

vue0404
10-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by My1stSUV
Locking Gas Cap
2004-2005 VUE ONLY

Locking Gas Cap
2002-2003 VUE ONLY

Found these two listed on Saturnparts.net.

I have a 4cyl 5spd '04 Vue. The part number for the locking gas cap I have is: 22720375. I t has worked perfectly since purchased, 6 mos ago.

My1stSUV
10-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
Think I will go pick up one of these locking gas caps and see what I can come up with on the tether issue.

KoolVue
10-10-2004, 05:59 PM
I rather have a locking gas door like my Nissan Sentra and P/U had.

My1stSUV
10-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by KoolVue
I rather have a locking gas door like my Nissan Sentra and P/U had.

Yea our 01 Sentra had a remote door release for the gas door. I much prefer that but its not an option :(