PDA

View Full Version : Hazard switch broke, now turn signals don't work.

Mgg4591
09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
So i put on my hazard lights today. When i went to shut them off, i heard a little click noise/snap noise and they went off. A few minutes later i noticed that my turn signals don't work. Tried the hazards again and they are also not functioning. I have no clue what is wrong, but i checked all the fuses and none are blown. If it means anything, the hazard button always keeps itself in the UP engaged position. When i push it down as if i were going to turn the hazards off, it just pop back up.

Any insight would be fantastic. I need the car and had to drive to work today with no turn signals.

Mgg4591
09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Do you think i will need to replace the whole switch assembly? I found this one on eBay brand new. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turn-Signal-Wiper-Switch-1995-2000-Saturn-SC-Coupe-SL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b525929bQQitemZ17054 2863003QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_5552wt_939

The local pick and pull wants 50 bucks if i pull it.

OldNuc
09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
When the hazard switch breaks it kills the turn signals. And it is all one big piece.

madpogue
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah, something probably broke in the mechanism that allows the hazard switch to "cycle" up and down. Only reliable fix is a replacement, and that should, handily, fix your signal issue as well. Sorry, eBay is blocked from here, but if that "new" switch is aftermarket, a salvage part might actually be preferable. I just haven't heard anything either way about the reliability of aftermarket LCSes. I found a salvage switch on eBay a coupla years ago, the harder-to-find wagon version, removed from the car and shipped, for $40-ish.

You'll need to get yourself a steering wheel puller if you don't have one already. Or your LBS might "lend" (with a deposit) one out.

ruley73
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Do you think i will need to replace the whole switch assembly? I found this one on eBay brand new. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turn-Signal-Wiper-Switch-1995-2000-Saturn-SC-Coupe-SL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b525929bQQitemZ17054 2863003QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_5552wt_939

Yes, you will because the hazard switch is mechanically integrated into the turn signal switch.

At that price, it's almost worth the extra money for a new one. The cheapest I found was Wells P/N SW1424 for ~$76 and had to be ordered at my local AutoZone.

**EDIT: just experimented with my car for the heck of it and found that there is small range of motion between hazard on (full up) and hazard off (full down) positions in which the neither the hazard or turn signals work when I held the button within that range of motion

You won't know until you take things apart, but you might luck out and the switch might just be jammed/stuck in that certain position which prevents the turn signals or flashers to work.

Try to get the hazards or turn signals to work by holding the hazard switch down and see what happens.

Rand0m0sityxX
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM

when My hazards broke, I replaced the whole turn signal/Hazard assembly. and I bought it new off ebay, BUT mine the turn signals wouldn't move, I don't know if it was because it was new or what, so I dissected it and put the new hazard switch on my old assembly.

Mgg4591
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
when My hazards broke, I replaced the whole turn signal/Hazard assembly. and I bought it new off ebay, BUT mine the turn signals wouldn't move, I don't know if it was because it was new or what, so I dissected it and put the new hazard switch on my old assembly.

So the signals wouldn't move to the left or right positions no matter what?

Rand0m0sityxX
09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
So the signals wouldn't move to the left or right positions no matter what?

Nope, I don't know if the one we got was just defective or what but they were stuck.