PDA

View Full Version : replaced front struts

Disophisis
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Replaced my front struts today with monroe quick strut assemblies to make it a bit easier for me.

after putting in the new assemblies I'm getting some squeaking when making turns on both sides. after further investigation, it appears it's due to some plastic welds in the wheel well. the top of the coil spring it rubbing against these pieces of plastic and making the squeaking noise.

I've tried adjusting the strut and I'm sure that when I put them back together they were centered and all... I'm not sure what to do, however. I could pull the strut and use a utility knife to remove some of the plastic weld looking material from the wheel well, but before I do that, does anyone have any suggestions here?

1993 SC2

Disophisis
04-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Lol - after some further investigation it appears it's not rubbing against the wheel well... it appears actually that the coil spring is rubbing against a piece of rubber at the top of the strut tower (that came preinstalled). So i'm not sure what to do about that. perhaps some grease between the coil and the rubber.

ShawnV
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Try loosening the three strut tower bolts on the top side. These are supposed 21 ft lbs tight.

Shawn

Mizzou
04-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm interested in the result of all this, I plan on doing the quick-strut option just because it's going to be baster and easier for me

Disophisis
04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Made sure the struts were torqued up top and below... just one additional item - I did replace the tie rods too, but I had a 4 wheel alignment done and the struts still squeak up front when turning. I took someone's advice and bought some silicone lubricant and have sprayed that up around the strut tower and under the wheel well where the coil spring meets the rubber plat at the top of the tower. after some driving, squeaking seems lessened when turning but still very present.. hopefully it fades off but I'm not sure.

when I say torqued below I just mean very snug btw.

ShawnV
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Did you torque the three strut mount bolts (visible under the hood) to 21 ft lbs? This is surprisingly loose. I torqued mine too far down and had a squeak that wouldn't go away until I loosened them up.

Shawn

BobbyP
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Try loosening the three strut tower bolts on the top side. These are supposed 21 ft lbs tight.

Shawn

Don't over torque these bolts they easily break off while driving.

I put a strut brace on my SC and it did not have instructions. I naturally tightened them tight because of their function, wrong... Within a week both struts had 1-2 broken bolts...

Disophisis
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
using my beam type torque wrench they're tightened to just a tiny bit over 20 lbs... it's starting to get very irritating, this noise. Haha. funny thing is it doesn't happen when going over bumps, just when turning hard from right to left or from left to right.

Disophisis
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
After a ton of searching I may have found the problem right here in this forum:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103681

this sounds like my issue so I'm going to try this fix when I get a chance tomorrow.

madpogue
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
After a ton of searching I may have found the problem right here in this forum:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103681

this sounds like my issue so I'm going to try this fix when I get a chance tomorrow. Yebbut this shouldn't happen on a pre-assembled quick-strut. Only when someone like me goofs up the re-assembly. Fishy thing is, this is at least the third report of Monroe Quick-Struts having this issue, just here on SF, within the last month or so. I think it's time for someone who's affected by this to contact Monroe; it can't be coincidence.

Okay, quick search, here are the other two cases:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132011 (post 36)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152277

Disophisis
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah I felt up there and I can feel that it's not aligned correctly... I guess I was just assuming that since these were professionally assembled they'd be right >.< Haha.

Disophisis
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Well peeps I got me a spring compressor finally, and took a closer look. What I thought was 'misaligned' before turns out to be correct, so I didn't make any changes. I was using the pictures here as a guide:

http://www.wecandobetter.com/dnload/Saturn_1997_SW2/FrontStrutsReplace05-09/Struts-Front-Saturn-SW2-1997.html

struts on the 93 look pretty much exactly the same. And the notch in the rubber pad at the top on mine is aligned like this. There's an image there that shows an upper bearing. I'm not sure I believe it's possible that both on mine would be bad, but it's starting to seem that way... any further input would be greatly appreciated. I've done silicone lubricant, made sure torque was correct, checked the rubber pads... noise seems to have lessened slightly over the last little while but it's still there and it's beginning to irritate me. Seems like the only way I'm going to get it fixed is removing the struts and investigating further, but I would really rather not, as I've already dropped 60 dollars on the four wheel alignment.

gizzi
05-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I also recently replaced both struts with Monroe quick strut assemblies. One of them squeaks pretty bad, the other is dead silent. I sprayed some WD40 on the assembly where the mount meets the rubber, worked for about a week then the noise came back. Something inside the assembly is tight and causing metal to contact rubber.

madpogue
05-05-2010, 12:33 AM
I also recently replaced both struts with Monroe quick strut assemblies. One of them squeaks pretty bad, the other is dead silent. I sprayed some WD40 on the assembly where the mount meets the rubber, worked for about a week then the noise came back. Something inside the assembly is tight and causing metal to contact rubber. Well, unless you posted about this elsewhere here on SF recently, that makes FOUR cases in the past coupla weeks of quick-struts for Saturns doing this. Gotta be a defect, either in the component parts or the way the assemblies are put together.

Disophisis
05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah it seems like it's either too tight or the top shaft retaining nut is too loose, allowing the rubber pad to move, like in one of the previous posts on this forum. looks like it needs to be torqued to 37 foot pounds (according to the guide on autozone.com). One question I have is, is it alright if I make sure of the torque while it's still installed on the car? I guess I'll need to hold the nut steady with an open end wrench and use a torx head to tighten the shaft in the middle to be sure that the torque is correct. One thing to note is the springs do touch the wheel wells on both sides but I'm pretty certain that's not where the noise is coming from, though I suppose it could be causing stress. According to monroe, the rubber pad's direction can be changed to change the direction the coil spring bows, which may help that. But I can't say for sure. I'm about to just ask for a refund, and go get another brand and re-use the coil springs from my original struts. I'm tired of the noise and I've already forked over money for an alignment and everything. Guess it was kind of silly of me. I've learned more about saturn suspension than I ever thought I would though :)

gizzi
05-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Well, unless you posted about this elsewhere here on SF recently, that makes FOUR cases in the past coupla weeks of quick-struts for Saturns doing this. Gotta be a defect, either in the component parts or the way the assemblies are put together.

I guess i'm the fourth one then...I've contacted Rock Auto who I purchased them through, looks like I may be able to exchange the defective one. Hopefully the new one won't squeak.:xeye:

Cheyne
05-06-2010, 03:13 AM
It's too bad this problem is happening. Monroe is currently running a promotion on them for $150 off a set of four until 5/31. They run 127.79 each at Rock Auto before any promotional codes and would end up being a reasonable deal if the squeak were not included.

silver02saturn
06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
I would be the 5th to have a problem. I bought mine about 2 months ago and have had no luck. This is what Monroe had to say:

Make sure the orientation of the spring seat is correct in regards to
the strut. The upper mount the design has limited clearance between
the rubber isolator and the bottom of the studs. You may have to trim
the rubber isolator for additional clearance. You may also return the
units as defective and reorder directly from the factory. We have
modified the isolator so that it has more clearance. All future
product will be manufactured with the modified isolator. There will be
an * (asterisk) on the end flap close to the part number which
identifies the corrected upper mounts.
Thank you for your interest in our products.

I got a replacement from Advance Auto with the * and it did ok for a week and started squeaking again. I am just going to return them and go with a non preassembled strut and bearing plate.

silverhunter
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm probably the 6th person to post about the Monroe quick strut squeak. After installing a pair last week I too had one strut that was good and one that squeaks every time you turn the wheel. O'Reily Auto Parts is swapping the bad strut out for me and I'm replacing it tomorrow, hope this one is quiet.

SLCraig
06-24-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry, but those things are so useless. They are 2x the price and offer no value at all.. Rent or buy a spring compressor and get some KYB's if you don't want problems.

I bought all my stuff at CarQuest. KYB GR2's and mounts. No issues.

underthehood
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry, but those things are so useless. They are 2x the price and offer no value at all.. Rent or buy a spring compressor and get some KYB's if you don't want problems.

So wrong!!!!! Many times Monroe QS are cheaper than wasting all that time. At least someone is standing behind possibly faulty units s^&t happens or perhaps installed incorrectly. But screwing around rebuilding struts is time wasted and money wasted many times

Drakon
06-24-2010, 08:42 PM

SLCraig Do you remember what the total cost was and did you use KYB mounts? I definately need to do the SW and was going to order from rock auto, as locally it was going to be about $600 for parts:dizzy:.

silverhunter
06-25-2010, 11:13 AM
No luck with my replacement strut today and now I can hear the other side making the squeak as well. The only reason I went with quick strut in the first place is that I had a broken coil. This is starting to become a nightmare. Back to the drawing board...

madpogue
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
The quick-strut squeak seems to be a pandemic. It would be interesting to look at the assembly while it's out of the car, to see how the top-mount stud heads line up with the features on the top surface of the rubber cushion. It could well be that a LARGE number of them were simply installed with the cushion "clocked" to the wrong position. If AZ hasn't sent that one back yet, I'd ask to come in and take a look at it. Then get them to get two (since you now have it on both sides) more replacements, and look at them when they come in. It may just be a matter of compressing the spring and re-clocking the top-mount, but Monroe should be willing to pay to have that done (ultimately, that'd be cheaper than replacing a whole slew of them).

I assume this is all under warranty, right?

silverhunter
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I did take a look at the cushions on both struts and both were in the correct position. It almost looks like the cushion is squished around the strut looking inside the coil, I'm wondering if the rod nut was over-torqued. I'm waiting for Monroe to get back to me about those updated struts but that doesn't sound all that promising either. If Monroe can't make it right I'll return the struts and move on.

SLCraig
06-25-2010, 02:39 PM
So wrong!!!!! Many times Monroe QS are cheaper than wasting all that time. At least someone is standing behind possibly faulty units s^&t happens or perhaps installed incorrectly. But screwing around rebuilding struts is time wasted and money wasted many times

It takes minutes to change springs, and its WAY more expensive to buy QuickStruts. Most people reference RockAuto, and the prices are $47 for the bare strut, and $125 for the QS trash. Not sure why you'd try to argue their value. Coil springs also generally never need to be replaced..

Oh, and not to mention most people who buy bare struts and swap springs also never complain about this noise, like everyone with Quickstruts seems to.

SLCraig
06-25-2010, 02:42 PM
SLCraig Do you remember what the total cost was and did you use KYB mounts? I definately need to do the SW and was going to order from rock auto, as locally it was going to be about $600 for parts:dizzy:.

I can try to find the invoice if you want, I don't recall the cost. It was not much different from buying from RockAuto factoring in shipping to Canada. (no shipping when buying from CQ obviously)

I used KYB GR2's (Actually, they were badged Excel-G which are the same thing) and whatever mounts CQ had in stock. I can't recall who makes them, but they backed them saying they were good with no customer complaints. So far, so good (that was about 5 months ago)

Drakon
06-26-2010, 06:58 AM
I can try to find the invoice if you want, I don't recall the cost. It was not much different from buying from RockAuto factoring in shipping to Canada. (no shipping when buying from CQ obviously)

I have got different prices from two different CQs in Durham region and would be interest in your price as I'm in that area a few times a year. I suppose shipping is the great equalizer but when the dollar was at par it seemed cheaper.

silverhunter
07-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Ok, I gave Monroe one last chance to make good on their Quick-Struts. They sent a new set from the factory which was supposed to have the "revised" strut mounts to correct the squeak. The third time was not the charm here, the damn things still squeak!! Monroe has offered to reimburse me the cost of the struts and my alignment since they do not have anymore in-stock and the problem is STILL unsolved. Good luck to anyone out there with the Monroe SQUEAK-struts... :upset:

madpogue
07-06-2010, 09:12 AM
... the Monroe SQUEAK-struts... :upset: Official new name....

David 93 SL2m
07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Ok, I gave Monroe one last chance to make good on their Quick-Struts. They sent a new set from the factory which was supposed to have the "revised" strut mounts to correct the squeak. The third time was not the charm here, the damn things still squeak!! Monroe has offered to reimburse me the cost of the struts and my alignment since they do not have anymore in-stock and the problem is STILL unsolved. Good luck to anyone out there with the Monroe SQUEAK-struts... :upset:I've always used KYB GR-2 struts on my Saturn S-Series cars with great results. This time I took the bait ($150 rebate check) and went with a set of front/rear Monroe Quick-Struts. But I have not installed them yet.

I'm interested in the result of all this, I plan on doing the quick-strut option just because it's going to be baster and easier for meYes, me too. That is why I chose this route this time: faster and easier. Maybe. Now I am nervous as hell and wondering what to do with these four Monroe Quick-Struts in boxes on my garage floor.

Don't over torque these bolts they easily break off while driving.

I put a strut brace on my SC and it did not have instructions. I naturally tightened them tight because of their function, wrong... Within a week both struts had 1-2 broken bolts...Yes, the first time I installed a strut tower brace I snapped off 2 of the 6 strut mount bolts for the same reason. 20 ft lbs is nothing and hard to "sense" with a torque wrench at such a low setting. Today I have more than one torque wrench and one of them only does 0 to maybe 50 ft lbs where it is easier to tell when we've reached a low torque value.

It's too bad this problem is happening. Monroe is currently running a promotion on them for $150 off a set of four until 5/31. They run 127.79 each at Rock Auto before any promotional codes and would end up being a reasonable deal if the squeak were not included.Just curious. Has anybody received their rebate checks? Mine has not arrived yet, but it has not been the usual 6 to 8 weeks yet. That would be the ultimate kick in the pants - for the rebate to not come. Gosh I hate it when that happens!

This is what Monroe had to say:Make sure the orientation of the spring seat is correct in regards to the strut. The upper mount the design has limited clearance between the rubber isolator and the bottom of the studs. You may have to trim the rubber isolator for additional clearance. You may also return the units as defective and reorder directly from the factory. We have modified the isolator so that it has more clearance. All future product will be manufactured with the modified isolator. There will be an * (asterisk) on the end flap close to the part number which identifies the corrected upper mounts. Thank you for your interest in our products.I got a replacement from Advance Auto with the * and it did ok for a week and started squeaking again.My boxes for the front struts has the asterisk on the end flap...

It takes minutes to change springs, and its WAY more expensive to buy QuickStruts. Most people reference RockAuto, and the prices are $47 for the bare strut, and $125 for the QS trash. Not sure why you'd try to argue their value. Coil springs also generally never need to be replaced..After the rebate it comes to a bit more than $80 per Monroe Quick-Strut, about $30 or so more than KYB GR-2. So for $30 each (for $120 for all 4) we get the strut, coil spring, and upper strut mount - and they are all pre-assembled. I do agree that coil springs rarely need to be replaced. In my case the coil springs are original and quite rusty so I figured for $30 why not replace them at the same time. If the rebate had not caught my eye then I would have kept the old rusty coil springs and gone with KYB GR-2s again - and I might end up doing this here just the same.

JerryHughes
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Okay, this may not be related at all---------but when my air conditioning unit "exploded" there was compressor oil all over the place, especially on the right-hand side all the way on top of the strut assembly, etc. The dang squeak sounded like a very loud rubber-on-rubber squeak, as bad as I've ever heard. Couldn't figure out how to stop it and was considering changing the struts because it only happened when turning the wheel to a hard right or left.

By shear dumb luck, when washing the engine compartment with Simple Green engine degreaser, I also cleaned the strut area very well and rinsed. Problem solved. May not be related to your problem but if it is, it would be a very simple fix. If not, good luck anyway. :yes:

David 93 SL2m
08-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I've always used KYB GR-2 struts on my Saturn S-Series cars with great results. This time I took the bait ($150 rebate check) and went with a set of front/rear Monroe Quick-Struts...

Just curious. Has anybody received their rebate checks? Mine has not arrived yet, but it has not been the usual 6 to 8 weeks yet. That would be the ultimate kick in the pants - for the rebate to not come. Gosh I hate it when that happens!Rebate check just arrived, 3.5 months later. :clock:

Disophisis
10-02-2010, 06:34 PM
I got my rebate just recently as well - my struts have been installed for months and I've just been driving on them despite the squeak. They actually don't squeak in the morning when they're cold - they start with it gets warm outside. something must be expanding and contracting.

Anyway, I'll probably by KYBs at some point. I have since bought a spring compressor. This was a lesson learned the hard way. Though Monroe was supposed to be a pretty good name in shocks and struts as far as I knew.

ulua56
10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
This is Monroe's response regarding Quik Struts 171924, received (9/29), after emailing Tech Support (9/3).

"
We had a clearance issue on some units they had caused the squeaking noise. This issue has been addressed and corrected. You should return yours for replacement units.

Thank you for your interest in our products."

"
Thank you for contacting Tenneco Automotive. We apologize for our delayed response.

What is the date codes on these units? This code should look something like this: P218D. These would be stamped onto the body of the struts.

Thank you for your interest in our products."

Guess what? I returned the Quik Struts and went with KYB"S, new springs, new top mount, new boots, the only thing Monroe was the Coil Spring Seat.
Installed Spring Seat with notch facing inboard.Thank you(madpogue) NO more squeak!!!!!!!!!! Returned my 94 Sl2(343,595,miles) back to its proper height.

naterhit
02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I just called Monroe asking about the issues with the quick Struts. They did acknowledge a problem with clearance issues and that was fixed Apr 2010. Any new units from them should have the problem corrected, and are referenced by a * after the part number. Apparently this issue only affected the fronts.