PDA

View Full Version : Ignition cylinder replacement DIY?

dbasch
09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have run into the very common notchy/sticy ignition cylinder problem on a 2004 Vue.

I found a bunch of helpful older threads for this problem:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104948&highlight=ignition+cylinder+replace
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100789

The new ignition cylinder has already been funded (but not purchased). Therefore, I don't see any reason to try the lube and pray solution first. It seems easier to just replace the part and move on.

People talk about having their ignition cylinders replaced by the dealership but no one talks about doing it themselves. A new cylinder retails for about $50. The cylinders don't appear to come with a set of keys.

I read the TSB, and it shows how to pull and replace the cylinder. It doesn't say anything about the keys.

Can I replace the ignition cylinder myself?

Anyone have a DIY for this?

Are these stupid questions ? :)

Thanks!

far2grumpy
09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a file for key coding ... too large to post ... PM email address and I'll send.

Be warned ... it implies you need all sorts of key cutting hardware to "build" and "code" the new key.

An alternate route could be to check with a local lock and key company.

They might have a less expensive solution and many can cut keys from blanks if you have the new cylinder ... or revise a new cylinder to use old keys.

In the not too distant past we had our Dodge GC packed for vacation - tucked safely in the garage - and the freaking key would not turn.

I called XXXX Lock and Key and the fellow brought a new cylinder and reworked on-site to use our old keys.

AAA paid all but $50 so we were happy campers.

dbasch
09-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a file for key coding ... too large to post ... PM email address and I'll send.

Be warned ... it implies you need all sorts of key cutting hardware to "build" and "code" the new key.

An alternate route could be to check with a local lock and key company.

They might have a less expensive solution and many can cut keys from blanks if you have the new cylinder ... or revise a new cylinder to use old keys.

In the not too distant past we had our Dodge GC packed for vacation - tucked safely in the garage - and the freaking key would not turn.

I called XXXX Lock and Key and the fellow brought a new cylinder and reworked on-site to use our old keys.

AAA paid all but $50 so we were happy campers.

Thanks for the reply grumpy.

I don't have any key cutting equipment. I will have to use a locksmith then.

Should I just hand him the new ignition cylinder and a set of blank keys from Home Depot?

How much should it cost if I supply the parts?

far2grumpy
09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the reply grumpy.

I don't have any key cutting equipment. I will have to use a locksmith then.

Should I just hand him the new ignition cylinder and a set of blank keys from Home Depot?

How much should it cost if I supply the parts?

I couldn't guess about materials or costs ... call a few and explain what you need. The locksmith who came to my house brought everything he needed.

I'm trying to remember ... he might have stopped by the Dodge dealer to pick up a replacement cylinder.

bestharry
09-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi, All the locksmiths in bussiness these days generally carry most of the stuff needed with them or thay arrange to pick it up on the way after you call them and describe your problem.

RobertGary1
10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have run into the very common notchy/sticy ignition cylinder problem on a 2004 Vue.

I found a bunch of helpful older threads for this problem:
Thanks!

I"m looking at doing the same thing for the opposite reason. The key keeps falling out in my lap while I'm driving. I looked at my All Data info for this and if you are just replacing the cylinder (not the entire housing), its pretty trivial, almost seems designed to be easy. You turn the key to run, then back to accessory, then push a release button and the entire thing comes out.
I'm planning on just taking my old key and the new lock cylinder to the local locksmith shop in town and having him rekey the new cylinder to the old key so I still have only one key. No need for a "valet" key. :)

-Robert

dbasch
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi, All the locksmiths in bussiness these days generally carry most of the stuff needed with them or thay arrange to pick it up on the way after you call them and describe your problem.

I finally got the cylinder replaced for $160 :)

Works great now.

RobertGary1
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I finally got the cylinder replaced for $160 :)

Works great now.

Holy crap! Even the most expensive dealership around only wants $80 (and will sell if for $70 if you order it online). I can't imagine a locksmith would charge you another $80 to key it? I think you got seriously ripped off. I just took mine out to look at it. R&R time took about 15 minutes. Much easier than changing oil.

-Robert

RobertGary1
10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Holy crap! Even the most expensive dealership around only wants $80 (and will sell if for $70 if you order it online). I can't imagine a locksmith would charge you another $80 to key it? I think you got seriously ripped off. I just took mine out to look at it. R&R time took about 15 minutes. Much easier than changing oil.

-Robert

I just logged into the system and got the labor rates...
To R&R the lock cylinder is 0.5 hours. To code the new key adds 0.3 hours. So the most they should charge you for is 0.8 if you had them do it (although, like I said, its much easier than changing your own oil). The price on the lock cylinder is around $65 plus tax, which out here is around 10%.

-Robert

qwikz28
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know if we are having the same issue, but it turned out for me that the ignition cylinder wasn't the problem, but rather the key was completely worn down. I made a copy using the wallet key (which hadn't been used much) and problem solved (mostly). Before replacing the entire cylinder, look around for spare keys that haven't been used much. Try that first. I went nuts late this summer because I was supposed to take a road trip to visit the lady friend and my key was getting stuck and wasn't comfortable taking the car like that. Two Saturn blanks and a few bucks at the locksmith and I'm golden. The key isn't perfect, but it never takes more than a wiggle to get going.

RobertGary1
10-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't know if we are having the same issue, but it turned out for me that the ignition cylinder wasn't the problem, but rather the key was completely worn down. I made a copy using the wallet key (which hadn't been used much) and problem solved (mostly). Before replacing the entire cylinder, look around for spare keys that haven't been used much. Try that first. I went nuts late this summer because I was supposed to take a road trip to visit the lady friend and my key was getting stuck and wasn't comfortable taking the car like that. Two Saturn blanks and a few bucks at the locksmith and I'm golden. The key isn't perfect, but it never takes more than a wiggle to get going.

Anyone know why there are not aftermarket versions of this lock cylinder? I just looked up a lock cylinder for my SC2 and found aftermarket ones running around $15. $60 for the Saturn lock cylinder on the Vue is starting to look pretty pricey.

BTW: I had one lock up on a Chevy once. Couldn't even shut off the car. I never got any warning of failure either. Its much harder to replace the cylinder when you can't turn the key. :)

-Robert