PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filler Neck/Cap

Layoira
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Anyone know offhand the TSB# for the fuel filler neck/cap issue? Is there more than one?

Can someone with access kindly search it up for me please, and better yet, tell me the chasis # (VIN) breakdown for this repair.

GM Sky Man
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Here ya go! Enjoy!

08-06-04-024B: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, If Necessary) - (Sep 15, 2008)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, if Necessary)

Models: 2008 Saturn Astra

Built Prior to and Including VIN Breakpoint 85108785

marx404
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
layoira, supposedly my car's vin did not fall into those affected, yet I needed the repair. Oh, and I got that nifty new gas cap with the widget that allows me to hook my cap to the filler door. Cool.

Layoira
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Here ya go! Enjoy!

08-06-04-024B: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, If Necessary) - (Sep 15, 2008)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, if Necessary)

Models: 2008 Saturn Astra

Built Prior to and Including VIN Breakpoint 85108785

Thanks!! You saved me a bunch of time and effort :)

Layoira
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
layoira, supposedly my car's vin did not fall into those affected, yet I needed the repair. Oh, and I got that nifty new gas cap with the widget that allows me to hook my cap to the filler door. Cool.

Thanks for that. My VIN is also out of the breakpoint. Im thinking I might have the problem too, from what I have been experiencing, but mine is minor so far cause Im not getting the check engine light and its not always persistant. My car has almost 14000 KMS on it right now, and still no light, so I just wanted to see the info on the bulletin. I doubt tho my dealership will do anything to it until that light comes on unfortunately.

In a weird way I kind of wish it would hurry up and come on, if thats the problem I am noticing with the smell of gas so I can get it fixed.

Robor007
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Really? Now I'm hoping mine is defective! :p

jon_e_quest
04-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Can you post a photo of your new cap and widget? I'm not sure if I have a widget or a doohickey, but I do have something there that I hook my cap onto. It looks more like a vertically oriented pen holder than a gas cap holder.

Layoira
04-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Can you post a photo of your new cap and widget? I'm not sure if I have a widget or a doohickey, but I do have something there that I hook my cap onto. It looks more like a vertically oriented pen holder than a gas cap holder.

That pen holder thing is for the tire vave cap remover tool lol which some of the earlier astras here got, most didnt as it had an opel logo on it and Saturn took it out. You can buy them for like 50 cents haha if you really want one. I have one cause I had to order other stuff and figured what the hell. It just sits there most of the time altho I did use it once when I didnt want to get my hands dirty :D:p

I can hook my gas cap to the fuel door now. I do it all the time. I didnt know some of you couldnt do that??? I thought they all had that.

Seems that TSB came out in September so that somewhat satisfys my answer as to wether this work was maybe done on my car before taking ownership, but I bought new back in August, and my vehicle wasnt sitting on the lot long (about a week before I signed my papers) so chances are it wasnt done. I wish I knew someone with GMVIS to run my vin for me. I no longer have access to this anymore :( but wish I did cause asking the dealer is like talking to a wall sometimes.

tackepj
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I just checked mine (had the repair done yesterday), and there is a disc at the bottom of the gas cap that allows me to hang it on the fuel door. I don't know if that's new or not, since I haven't filled up my car yet (only 2XX miles!).

The bottom of the gas cap says "Gerdes", and I did notice that this seems to fit quite a bit tighter than the old one.

Layoira
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I just checked mine (had the repair done yesterday), and there is a disc at the bottom of the gas cap that allows me to hang it on the fuel door. I don't know if that's new or not, since I haven't filled up my car yet (only 2XX miles!).

The bottom of the gas cap says "Gerdes", and I did notice that this seems to fit quite a bit tighter than the old one.

Yeah thats what mine looks like now. While pumping gas you can just hook that part into the rectangular slot if you wanna call it on the fuel door. Fits nice. I dont know the name on the gas cap though will take a look when Im out to the car in a bit and see what I have.

OPEL Blitz
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
There's some more on the cap in this thread

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131712

Layoira
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
There's some more on the cap in this thread

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131712

Looks like my car was built after they figured a problem, and changed the gas caps and filler necks. I have had the "new" gas cap that hooks on the fuel door (saw in your pics from that thread) from the start, so Im guessing this TSB deffinately doesnt apply to me now, and my gas smelling fumes must be related somewhere else. Good to know I can pretty much eliminate this TSB as the problem. Thanks for linking that thread I didnt know there was some useful info in there towards the end. I got tired of reading it when everyone was complaining over the guys fuel door getting covered under warranty:p

Robor007
04-09-2009, 06:21 AM
No gas cap hook thingy for me... :hmm:

marx404
04-09-2009, 06:31 AM
No gas cap hook thingy for me... :hmm:

Up until now I have been hanging my cap over the valve cap remover holder when I fill up. I think the tether on the new cap is shorter now.

Robor007
04-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Up until now I have been hanging my cap over the valve cap remover holder when I fill up. I think the tether on the new cap is shorter now.

I usually use my left hand to open the door and unscrew the cap then I hold it and after I put the nozzle in I lay the gas cap across it.

GM Sky Man
04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks!! You saved me a bunch of time and effort :)

(Tipping my hat and bowing) Not a problem. Glad I be of some assistance. :p

gsrboi80
06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Just thought I'd update here went into my dealer for something unrelated and was informed there was a recall on my car to replace the filler neck and the fuel cap

I never had a cel for the issue and never received a notice from the dealer. I made the appointment though and they replaced the parts OH Well

:D

Teh_Freak
06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I usually use my left hand to open the door and unscrew the cap then I hold it and after I put the nozzle in I lay the gas cap across it.

Whereas I just let the cap dangle there and let gravity do all the work, I'm actually curious as to why people do these 'odd' things with their gas caps. It's not like any paint is getting scratched by it.

gsrboi80
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I hate whe the cap bounces off the side of my cars scratch or not. I cut the strap on the EVO and the Astra :D

Leith1812
06-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Layoira, I had a similar problem. I was smelling a bit of gas vapor and every 4000-5000km (at 36,000km) the check engine light would pop on and OnStar would diagnose it as the fuel cap. Saturn checked and they concluded there was a small leak in the Evap Canister and replaced it.

Layoira
06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Layoira, I had a similar problem. I was smelling a bit of gas vapor and every 4000-5000km (at 36,000km) the check engine light would pop on and OnStar would diagnose it as the fuel cap. Saturn checked and they concluded there was a small leak in the Evap Canister and replaced it.

My problem never did resurface. Im not sure what it was to be honest. I have a later build astra after the fuel filler correction (may 08), so that wasnt it I dont think, and I didnt get a check engine or anything like that. I never did find the problem, could have been temporary whatever it was. If it happens again I'll ask about it. Ive kept it in the back of my head to keep an eye or nose lol out for it anyways, but im pretty receptive to sounds and smells so I doubt I'll miss it if it happens again. Thanks for posting your problem tho!

goob
12-11-2014, 08:57 AM
My check engine light is on/off for the last couple of weeks. I believe it's this fuel cap/fuel filler issue.
I can retighten the cap and sometimes the light will go out, but then it will come back on later on.
It's almost seems to be temperature related. When its cold, it's more likely for the light to come on.
I know there is a TSB on this issue, my question is, am I still covered for this even after my warranty is over? I called the dealer to make an appt. to get it checked out and he quoted me $120 just to diagnose the issue.

Saturn4Ever
12-11-2014, 09:36 AM
My check engine light is on/off for the last couple of weeks. I believe it's this fuel cap/fuel filler issue.
I can retighten the cap and sometimes the light will go out, but then it will come back on later on.
It's almost seems to be temperature related. When its cold, it's more likely for the light to come on.
I know there is a TSB on this issue, my question is, am I still covered for this even after my warranty is over? I called the dealer to make an appt. to get it checked out and he quoted me $120 just to diagnose the issue.

Go online or to a local auto store and pick up a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader you can use with your smartphone. Once you have the code you will have a better idea what you are actually dealing with and may find help here.

PaulR
12-15-2014, 02:39 PM
I replaced my gas cap on my XE with the newer "with the disc and hang on the door" style. Would this make the CEL light come on, showing the generic code P0498?

The CEL came on right after I did this along with a faint smell of gas. I reinstalled the original one but the light has yet to go off. Will possibly driving the car make the CEL go back off? Any suggestions?

goob
12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Go online or to a local auto store and pick up a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader you can use with your smartphone. Once you have the code you will have a better idea what you are actually dealing with and may find help here.

Thanks for the idea.
I went to Autozone to get the code. P1101.
The light went out the next day and has been off for 3 days now.
So my initial guess was wrong. I cancelled by apt and will wait to see if it comes on again.

nicolas_p
12-16-2014, 11:06 PM
That code would be the MAF sensor out of range due to dirty filter or a Pod filter

PaulR
12-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Go online or to a local auto store and pick up a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader you can use with your smartphone. Once you have the code you will have a better idea what you are actually dealing with and may find help here.This may sound like a silly question but... Will a cheap Bluetooth reader, as in the ELM327 V1.5 OBDII OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner do the job on Saturn Astra? I guess that there is an app that goes along with it (one is free or, I can pay for a better one) that will go on my Adroid Moto G smart phone. I am looking at the diagnostic scanners that are around 8 dollars. Please let me know, since this would be a good investment for a vehicle that I drive that shows a new code every five months.

Saturn4Ever
12-18-2014, 08:49 AM
This may sound like a silly question but... Will a cheap Bluetooth reader, as in the ELM327 V1.5 OBDII OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner do the job on Saturn Astra? I guess that there is an app that goes along with it (one is free or, I can pay for a better one) that will go on my Adroid Moto G smart phone. I am looking at the diagnostic scanners that are around 8 dollars. Please let me know, since this would be a good investment for a vehicle that I drive that shows a new code every five months.

It worked for me, yes. There are a variety of free apps in the app store to choose from that will work with the bluetooth scanners. The one I use on my S5 is OBD Car Doctor. Handy to have so even if you need to take the car into get repairs you have some idea what is wrong so you don't get shafted.

I use it on my wife's car as well (Saturn Outlook). From the diagnostic code and some quick Internet searching I learned the fix was a simple part replacement I could DIY.

emg77
12-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I had the P1101 error, and cleaning and replacing the MAF didn't clear it, it would always come back every 2-3 weeks. What ended up resolving mine was cleaning the throttle body. It was easy enough to do. I just cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and a microfiber towel. It wasn't really that dirty, but I haven't had the code reappear in the 6 months since I cleaned it.

And yes, the OBD bluetooth reader with the Torque app is great. It's paid for itself many times over. I leave mine plugged in my car all the time. I have the BAFX Products one from Amazon (around $24). It's been powered and working non-stop for over a year in my Astra. I think Torque only works with Android.

PaulR
12-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I had the P1101 error, and cleaning and replacing the MAF didn't clear it, it would always come back every 2-3 weeks. What ended up resolving mine was cleaning the throttle body. It was easy enough to do. I just cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and a microfiber towel. It wasn't really that dirty, but I haven't had the code reappear in the 6 months since I cleaned it.

And yes, the OBD bluetooth reader with the Torque app is great. It's paid for itself many times over. I leave mine plugged in my car all the time. I have the BAFX Products one from Amazon (around $24). It's been powered and working non-stop for over a year in my Astra. I think Torque only works with Android.Thanks emg77 and Saturn4Ever. You have given me some good options. I will look into the BAFX Products version even if it the price is more. The Torque app is only around $5. I will let you know how it turns out.