PDA

View Full Version : black RTV vrs. red RTV

saturn94v
03-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I bought the black rtv for the Timing cover and valve cover. should I have gotten the red? And it is currently 30 degrees outside is it to cold for rtv application? I have heard nothing about application in cold weather other than it takes a little longer to cure. any one have input on this? thanks

Squareback
03-01-2009, 10:37 AM
You should be using the proper grey anaerobic sealer from Saturn. RTV=Room Temperature Vulcanizing. I don't know how it will act in cold weather, if or when it will cure. The factory Saturn sealant isn't RTV.

saturn94v
03-01-2009, 11:57 AM
You should be using the proper grey anaerobic sealer from Saturn. RTV=Room Temperature Vulcanizing. I don't know how it will act in cold weather, if or when it will cure. The factory Saturn sealant isn't RTV.

ahh man! ...really? $*#T!! I suppose that is $40 and wont be able to get it until monday. my car is all appart in the garage and i need to go to work tomarrow. BTW; I am having trouble with the final removal of the timing cover. I have removed all bolts, (I think 14 or 15, 10mm and one 8mm center bolt) I have used a razor to cut away the seal. however it seems as though something is still holding it on the block. I removed the lower crank bolt and then the pulley itself, is there something else inside TC crankshaft hole that needs to be removed also? Maybe something I have missed?

1929roadster
03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Use Locktite 518 Anerobic Sealant for housing covers, transmission and engine case halves. It is also sold under the Permatex name as Anarobic gasket maker. It is a flange sealant, not a gasket maker. Any Anarobic flange sealant will work fine, including Locktite 518 or 574. The 574 is actually better, but you can take the $5 route with Permatex and have good results.

The timing cover has alignment pins. Hit them with some penetrating oil. There is also the 4 pan bolts holeing it onto the bottom of the cover.

saturn94v
03-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Use Locktite 518 Anerobic Sealant for housing covers, transmission and engine case halves. It is also sold under the Permatex name as Anarobic gasket maker. It is a flange sealant, not a gasket maker. Any Anarobic flange sealant will work fine, including Locktite 518 or 574. The 574 is actually better, but you can take the $5 route with Permatex and have good results.

The timing cover has alignment pins. Hit them with some penetrating oil. There is also the 4 pan bolts holeing it onto the bottom of the cover.

i was able to contact a permatex representitive. the black rtv is sutable (acording to them,..) for; timing covers, cam covers, oil pan gskets and some other thing i can't recal. it is rated for -75 to 500 degrees F working temp. Also it will not break down from the contact to oil , coolant or trans fluid. That being said, I also talked with them about their Anerobic Sealant and I didn't get the exact numbers, but the anerobic has a higher and lower temp range, also will not break down due to oils, ATF's, and is considered to be the more flexable of the two. I agree the anerobic would have been the better choice. I didn't know. The RTV should suffice.(hopefully) And if it doesn't...I'M ROYALY SCREWED!!! But hey, we live and learn right?:yes:

OldNuc
03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
As an Oh-By -The-Way, the directions on the tube of 518 state that it has a 1 to 8 hour cure time at room temperature. It takes a very long time to cure at 30F. It also does not stick to metal like RTV does. It is much easier to get off. The timing cover is not going anywhere so flex is not really an issue. Surface prep is however a big issue. The original recommendation was to clean the mating surfaces with A chlorinated hydrocarbon, such as brake cleaner. well there are no more spray cans of chlorinated solvents. The easy to find final wipe down solvent is probably acetone. Thee are others but they are hard to find. the Brake cleaner is now a low volatility hydrocarbon. And it does tend to leave a film of something. If you get it clean the fresh RTV will stick to the surface when wiped on in a very thin layer. You can get a hot air heater to keep the RTV warm for a while till it cures.

saturn94v
03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
As an Oh-By -The-Way, the directions on the tube of 518 state that it has a 1 to 8 hour cure time at room temperature. It takes a very long time to cure at 30F. It also does not stick to metal like RTV does. It is much easier to get off. The timing cover is not going anywhere so flex is not really an issue. Surface prep is however a big issue. The original recommendation was to clean the mating surfaces with A chlorinated hydrocarbon, such as brake cleaner. well there are no more spray cans of chlorinated solvents. The easy to find final wipe down solvent is probably acetone. Thee are others but they are hard to find. the Brake cleaner is now a low volatility hydrocarbon. And it does tend to leave a film of something. If you get it clean the fresh RTV will stick to the surface when wiped on in a very thin layer. You can get a hot air heater to keep the RTV warm for a while till it cures.

so should i wait as long as i can before starting up the motor??

OldNuc
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
After you get the cover back on see if you can come up with a way to get some heat in the general area. The cover to oil pan is the critical spot initially. You just have to keep it warm. The book thinks you can get away with about an hour at 72 degrees before driving it. Longer is much better. Full cure is about 24 hours at 70F. A small salamander heater blowing under the right side of the car would do it. Keep it far enough away that the radiant heat from the red hot end does not melt the plastic. Or aim it at the floor in front of the car. All of these curing type sealants are a bit of a pain in the winter.

LivingColour
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM
My FSM specifically says RTV. Don't know why they would print it if it weren't ok to use.

OldNuc
03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
It depends on just where you read in the manual. It is a bit vague. The 518 will work just fine on flanges that fit closely, like the timing cover. RTV will fill a larger gap.