PDA

View Full Version : Versatrak fluid (Holy crap! It's expensive)

Ritz
10-25-2008, 03:56 PM
I was planning to change the fluid in the RDM this weekend so I picked up some Versatrak fluid. Holy cow! It's $31/pint!!!! No wonder nobody wants to change it. Do they grow it on vines in the south of France and age it in oak casks for 3 years? :)

Cheers,

saturn god
10-25-2008, 10:08 PM
where do u live?im pretty sure i still have some 10bucks a qt

Partymmudasti
10-26-2008, 07:32 AM
The rear differential takes Versatrak? I thought the transfer case took versatrak and the RDM took gear oil?

I bought some a few years ago for my 02 Envoy's transfer case. It was ~$8/qt in my area, back then. Im sure the price has gone up by now :dizzy:

wolfman
10-26-2008, 07:40 AM
I was planning to change the fluid in the RDM this weekend so I picked up some Versatrak fluid. Holy cow! It's $31/pint!!!! No wonder nobody wants to change it. Do they grow it on vines in the south of France and age it in oak casks for 3 years? :)

I have not looked into whether there are equivalents, because I have no need to, but you do know that (according to the Fergussen / Moss Warranty Act) if GM specifies Versatrak (a GM Brand) and Versatrak only for the fluid...then THEY (GM) have to pay for it...right?

Ritz
10-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I have not looked into whether there are equivalents, because I have no need to, but you do know that (according to the Fergussen / Moss Warranty Act) if GM specifies Versatrak (a GM Brand) and Versatrak only for the fluid...then THEY (GM) have to pay for it...right?

hehe, I'll let them know and start holding my breath now. I'll let you know where to send the flowers....

newbievueowner
10-26-2008, 09:54 AM

If you do, please PM me. I will take a couple. Tx

1saxman
10-26-2008, 10:04 AM
'The rear differential takes Versatrak? I thought the transfer case took versatrak and the RDM took gear oil?'

Exactly backwards. The PTU takes 75W90 hypoid gear oil and the RDM takes Versatrak (similar in weight to ATF).

Ritz
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
'The rear differential takes Versatrak? I thought the transfer case took versatrak and the RDM took gear oil?'

Exactly backwards. The PTU takes 75W90 hypoid gear oil and the RDM takes Versatrak (similar in weight to ATF).

That's my understanding as well. And the gear oil needs to be GL5.

Cheers,

Ritz
10-26-2008, 10:39 AM

I'm in CT. Where are you located?

Cheers,

MrHorspwer
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
but you do know that (according to the Fergussen / Moss Warranty Act) if GM specifies Versatrak (a GM Brand) and Versatrak only for the fluid...then THEY (GM) have to pay for it...right?

It's Magnuson-Moss, not Fergussen / Moss.

The part of the Act you are referring to is the tie-in sale provision. GM circumvents the tie-in sale by draping a broad "or equlivent" statement over all of their fluid specifications. You'll notice that the fluid specification are listed under RECOMMENDED Fluids and Lubricants in the owners manual. It's not GM's problem that nobody makes an equlivent Versatrak fluid. The fluid isn't "branded" Versatrak any more than Dexron is "branded" ATF (actually, both are just marketing or trade names, like DexCool and Freon). ATF is actually a good example. GM is specificing Dexron VI for all their new auto transmissions. For a while, nobody in the aftermarket was producing an equlivent product. That wasn't GM's fault and they weren't required to provide you fluid for free because of it.

Additionally, the FTC provides a provision for manufacturers who can prove that their product absolutly will not operate properly without a specific item (that is, there is no equilivency). If they can prove this, the FTC will grant a waiver.

MaxSL2
10-26-2008, 10:53 PM
The $8 fluid for the Envoy is Autotrak II, a different fluid used in many New Process built transfer cases.

Versatrak is for different demands since it uses wet multiplate clutches and a hydraulic pump to engage AWD, where a transfer case filled w/ Autotrak II works much like a traditional 4wd unit but with an electric motor auto shifting it between RWD and 4wd as necessary.

newbievueowner
10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Apparently according to Royal Purple's website, one of their oils crossreferences the GM Versatrak fluid part number. Apparently that same part number fluid is used in the newer corvette manual transmissions. I want to try it but I also want to have back up fluid just in case it starts making noise and I need to change it quickly. That fluid is $60 CDN retail for 500 ml up here in Canada!!! Absolutely ridiculous!

1saxman
10-30-2008, 09:13 AM

I am wrong there. Simply checking the owner's manual verifies that Versatrak oil is to be used in BOTH the RDM and PTU. Now, for anyone who has used 75W90 in their PTU, there is no emergency. It's nothing but a gear set. I think they may specify Versatrak in it because if the seal failed between the transmission and the PTU, Versatrak getting in the trans ATF would be preferable to mixing ATF with 75W90.

ctsmith
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Saturnparts.com lists VersaTrak fluid (P/N 12378514) for $18.91 plus shipping. Its where I plan to buy mine.

Charlie

Dante
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Saturnparts.com lists VersaTrak fluid (P/N 12378514) for $18.91 plus shipping. Its where I plan to buy mine.

Charlie

A couple years ago, last time I bought the fluid, I could swear it was around $8 for a *half liter* bottle (that's the only size I've ever found them in). I bought it from the now CLOSED Pontiac shop. I went to the Chevy place across the street last weekend, and they wanted $33 and change per bottle, but the parts counter guy gave it to me for nearly cost at about $22. The Saturn dealer wanted $38!

Fortunately for me, I already had a little over 1 bottle still at home, so I just picked up one (and used it this weekend). I wind up using nearly 2 bottles every 15k miles, so yeah this AWD thing is getting expensive. But on the bright side, after putting in new fluid, the AWD works very well again, even if there is a little wah-wah noise on the 5-MPH circles in the street test...