PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Not Reading Accurately

ejawodo
03-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi All,

I'm new here, and own an '07 Ion 3 Quade Coupe A4. It's got 20 000 km on it (12 500 miles) and I just started having issues with the fuel gauge. I drove 1600 km the other day (1000 miles) and filled up when I got home. All was well. Then, today, I started it up and the gauge said I only had 3/4 a tank after less than 20 km of driving. I knew this was incorrect as I checked my mileage when I filled up, and it was well within the normal range. I then went to the gas station and tried topping it up, just to be sure, but the gauge then read 7/8.

I also noticed on my trip that the tachometer was behaving erratically every once in a while, jerking a little bit.

Anyone experience something similar? Any ideas?

I turned it on and off several times, the gauge went to full, then went down to 3/4, then back up to 7/8. I'll try disconnecting the battery tomorrow, but if that doesn't work I guess it's off to the dealership. There is only a GM dealer in town, I hope they don't give me any hassles.

Thanks,

Adam

Tethys
03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
ejawodo,

Your fuel sending unit/pump might have a short in it. My 2006 Ion had one in its unit and it had to be replaced. I'm still not convinced the replacement works well, however. It seems to take less than 50 miles of driving for the needle to move from F to 3/4. I know the gauge isn't linear but my S-series cars' gas gauges didn't move until I had driven ~50 miles.

Tip: you'll need to drive to the retailer with 1/4 tank or less before they'll work on it as they have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit/pump.

By GM dealer, do you mean one other than Saturn? If so, they may give you resistance to fixing the problem. Some non-Saturn GM dealers refuse to work on Saturn vehicles even though they share many parts with other non-Saturn models.

Good luck.

ejawodo
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

I talked to the GM dealer (They sell Chevrolet's, Pontiac's, Buick's, Cadillacs, virtually everything but Saturn's and Saab's), and they refused to look at it, saying that they don't do warranty work on Saturn's. The closest Saturn dealer is 65 miles away, so that really isn't an option. I guess I will have to wait till school is over in 7 weeks, and take it in when I get back home.

This bothers me, as when i purchased the car, the dealer said that any GM dealer will do warranty work on it (the reason I asked in the first place was because there is no dealer where I go to school).

DukeCitySC2
03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
ejawodo,

By GM dealer, do you mean one other than Saturn? If so, they may give you resistance to fixing the problem. Some non-Saturn GM dealers refuse to work on Saturn vehicles even though they share many parts with other non-Saturn models.

Good luck.

Both the Pontiac/Buick and Chevy dealers (2 miles from my house) say GM prohibits cross-marque warranty work, with few exceptions (i.e., dead in East Nowhere, where there is only a GMC dealer). So I need to drive to the Saturn dealer (18 miles away).

ejawodo
03-25-2008, 10:58 PM
It look like I'll be going off my trip odometer for a while. It just ticks me off that I was told any GM dealer would work on it.

A similar thing happened when I owned a '98 Cadillac STS (Beautiful car by the way). I was working in some awful town in northern Alberta, with only a GM dealer. I needed some parts for my power windows, but they couldn't even get them!

RoadIon
03-25-2008, 11:12 PM
you were told any gm dealer would work on it. that has never been the case. i thought that was common knowledge.

ejawodo
03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought this was the case, but I asked to make sure (seeing as there are three somewhat identical cars sold by different brand names). They lied to me. I heard that GM made a change to allow all models to have warranty work done at any dealership, but I then learned that it was for emergency work only, and does not include Saturn and Saab.

Mr. Falcon
05-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't have that particular problem, but I do have another fuel gauge related problem.

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion 2. At about 19 500 km the fuel gauge went from reading Full (just after I filled up) to reading Empty. (I always reset the tripometer when I fill up so I can use the gauge and the km to indicate when I need to fill up.)

About a week later the problem fixed itself and I forgot about it.

Then today (about 3 months later) at about 22 000km my fuel gauge started reading Empty again. (This time it happened not after I filled up, but after I drove past the gas station where I filled up the last time it broke.)

I'm interested in knowing if other Saturns have similar problems too.

DukeCitySC2
05-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't have that particular problem, but I do have another fuel gauge related problem.

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion 2. At about 19 500 km the fuel gauge went from reading Full (just after I filled up) to reading Empty. (I always reset the tripometer when I fill up so I can use the gauge and the km to indicate when I need to fill up.)

About a week later the problem fixed itself and I forgot about it.

Then today (about 3 months later) at about 22 000km my fuel gauge started reading Empty again. (This time it happened not after I filled up, but after I drove past the gas station where I filled up the last time it broke.)

I'm interested in knowing if other Saturns have similar problems too.

I think your problem is easier to diagnose. Empty (I am pretty sure) indicates low resistance from the sending unit, so a short would send the needle to Empty. I think your sending unit wire is intermittantly shorting.

Maritime Storm
05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
This thread happens to be perfect timing. Mine stopped reading accurately on the weekend, what mine is doing is staying between 3/4 and full and on rare occasions dropping to empty for a seconds before bouncing back. First I thought was getting great mileage until I realized that it wasn't reading accurately, to make matters worse I was on a trip to New Hampshire wasn't sure on fuel mileage:upset:. Any fix short of replacing the sending unit? And could this be covered by the powertrain warranty?

davesaturn
05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Here's a wild theory:

it sounds like some dirt has found it's way into the tank and is causing the float to jam?

Question for those who have this problem: do you have a locking gas cap?

I've been wondering if vandals couldn't dump stuff into the tank?

another option: dirty gas?

Maritime Storm
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I was just playing around on www.saturnparts.net , is the fuel sender actually seperate from the fuel pump assmbly on these cars?

davesaturn
05-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I was just playing around on www.saturnparts.net , is the fuel sender actually seperate from the fuel pump assmbly on these cars?

I was curious about the term Saturn+"fuel sender", so a googly search pointed back to this site to the following link.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1196557

specifically, post #3 refers to a bulletin titled: "Erratic/False Fuel Gauge Readings"
concerning the SL1 line.

Some customers may comment on the fuel gauge displaying an erratic or false reading or that the vehicle will not start after it is shut off with a low fuel level.

Cause

This condition may be caused by contamination of the fuel sender contacts or a misadjusted fuel sender float.

Correction

Use the float measurement tables shown in this bulletin to check for inaccurate sender resistance and adjustment of the fuel sender arm. To correct this condition, perform fuel gauge and sender diagnostics and, if necessary, replace/adjust fuel sender. Refer to service procedure in this bulletin.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1195683&postcount=3

--------------------------------------
I wonder if there is a similar bulletin for the ION series?

where can one find all bulletins for the ION series?
does Saturn give public access to tech bulletins?

=======================

Maritime Storm
05-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Actually that TSB was for the L-Series.

davesaturn
05-20-2008, 05:29 AM
Actually that TSB was for the L-Series.

That's why I highlighted SL1 in big red thingys.

Maritime Storm
05-21-2008, 07:16 AM
An SL1 is an S-Series, the L-Series in the midsize line up(L200, L300, LW200, LW300, LS1, LS2).

Maritime Storm
05-21-2008, 07:22 AM
I was reading a TSB on Mitchell's yesterday that indicated it may caused by Sulfur contamination from using non-top-tier fuels. The fix listed was to try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to clean the sender, if the problem didn't rectify itself then replace the unit. So I'll try that first.