PDA

View Full Version : engine problem. connecting rod? please help

SWargy
07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
first off let me start with my car. It is a '91 SC with 180,000 miles.
so i was driving and I hit a few small bumps going about 30 mph. I heard something but I don't remember exactly what the noise sounded like, but the noise got me worried.
so I tried a few things while driving and found that I had very little power while accelerating. It felt like I was in 5th the whole time. Also while idling the engine was running VERY rough. shaking A lot, but there was no sound clinking inside the engine.
What could cause this?

JADEDSL2
07-28-2007, 01:27 PM
first off let me start with my car. It is a '91 SC with 180,000 miles.
so i was driving and I hit a few small bumps going about 30 mph. I heard something but I don't remember exactly what the noise sounded like, but the noise got me worried.
so I tried a few things while driving and found that I had very little power while accelerating. It felt like I was in 5th the whole time. Also while idling the engine was running VERY rough. shaking A lot, but there was no sound clinking inside the engine.
What could cause this?

It would help if you posted this in the S-Series forum, not the SKY forum.

SWargy
07-28-2007, 11:12 PM
sorry, I could've sworn i posted in the s-series forum.

SaturnSdn
07-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Nope..........this is the Sky forum

Darcane
08-05-2007, 04:54 PM
If you lost a conn. rod bearing, you'd be hearing some nasty clunking sounds. I know, I'm just starting to replace an engine for the same thing.

Hitting bumps rarely causes engine problems... but I could see a loose spark plug wire coming undone or possibly a wire getting knocked into the serpentine belt. I'd look the engine over for obvious signs of a failure first.

rv93
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
i dont have a whole lot of info, but id guess lack of fuel or lack of spark. do you have a cel? it should turn on for either one of those. look for a code for a misfire or lean fuel trim or something