Saturn Sales Down in December, Year-Over-Year
The 2008 calendar year was a down year for Saturn, General Motors, and the auto industry as a whole. However, not all new was bad for Saturn. There were two significant bright spots: sales of Saturn's midsize Aura sedan and Vue compact sport-utility were virtually flat year-over-year.
Saturn sales for 2008 totaled 188,004 units, down 21.7% from 240,091 in 2007. Meanwhile, last month's sales were down 30.9% to 12,570 vehicles from December 2007 levels. However, December's sales were nearly 55% higher than in November and more than 46% than in October. "Given the ongoing challenges and the difficult market environment, we were very encouraged to see a volume rebound for GM in December compared with both October and November," said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing.
- Astra 3- and 5-door hatchback sales totaled 1,155 last month and 11,968 for the year.
- Aura sales were down 40.1% from 5,319 to 3,186; year-end sales were virtually flat at 59,380 (down 1%)
- Sky sales dropped 54.6% to 292 roadsters; 2008 sales were down 18.7% to 9,162
- Outlook sales fell to 1,354 copies of the large crossover utility (-57.1%); 25,340 Outlooks were sold last year (-27.1%)
- Vue sales were off 21% in December to 6,579 copies of the sport-utility; year-over-year sales were flat (-3.6%) at 81,676.
- There were 34 Saturn Aura and 338 Vue hybrids sold in December.
Source: General Motors