Flashback Friday: Saturn Ion·EFX Concept from the 2002 SEMA Show
As the 2013 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show winds down, we're taking a look back at one of the vehicles Saturn showcased at its display back in 2002: the Ion·EFX quad coupe concept. The Ion·EFX was packed with licensed performance and style accessories that were available at Saturn retailers. Saturn Service Parts Operations worked closely with leading aftermarket parts manufacturers who designed the accessories.
The exterior of the Ion·EFX quad coupe boasted ground-effects by Xenon, including both front and rear fascia extensions and side skirts. A California Dream rear spoiler and lowering springs by The Progress Group along with an Ion Red concept paint scheme by BASF contributed to the Ion·EFX's strong visual statement. The Ion quad coupe's versatile interior packaging contained a folding front passenger seat. The Ion·EFX's interior trim included aluminum performance pedals and shifter by ATA/Autotechnica.
In addition, the Ion·EFX quad coupe featured personal accent exterior and interior accessories, including: Carbon Fiber roof rails, along with matching Carbon Fiber trim bezels for the center-mounted instrument cluster, shifter, HVAC and radio control panels, and remote keyless entry fob. On production Ion sedan and quad coupe models, personal accent accessories were available at Saturn retailers in Leopard, Blue Bubble, Brushed Steel and Carbon Fiber. An HKS performance intake and cat-back exhaust helped increase air flow on the standard 2.2-liter, 140-hp Ecotec inline four-cylinder engine.
The 2003 Ion sedan debut early in the fourth quarter of 2002, while the Ion quad coupe followed in early 2003.
Saturn Ion·EFX Quad Coupe Vehicle Highlights:
- Ground effects by Xenon - front fascia and rear fascia extensions and side skirts
- Lowering springs by The Progress Group
- California Dream rear spoiler
- Aluminum performance pedals and shifter by ATA/Autotechnica
- Carbon Fiber personal accent accessories including roof rails and trim bezels for center-mounted instrument cluster, shifter, HVAC and radio control panels, and remote keyless entry fob
- Accessory tray for folding front passenger seat
- Ecotec 2.2L I-4 engine with HKS performance intake and cat-back exhaust systems for increased air flow and performance
- Ion·EFX-exclusive paint and graphics scheme
- Ion Red concept paint by BASF
Scroll down to see more photos of the Ion·EFX. You can also check-out more of Saturn's concept cars from the 2002 SEMA show in the SaturnFans.com gallery.
Random Article from the SaturnFans.com Archives
If you haven't already seen the latest trailer for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, you can watch it below. But pay close attention. In addition to the fleet of GM-inspired AutoBots vehicles featured in the movie, there's also a silver 5-door Saturn Astra that plays an unknown role in the film.